Hansel and Gretel

Hello everybody ! This project was part of a french Blender community contest which theme was “Grimm’s Tales”.
I decided to explore the universe of Hansel and Gretel in this render. I didn’t want to go full fantasy, I wanted it to be able to settle in the everyday !
What you can observe here is a candy, caramel, chocolate house sprouting out of the book and taking volume in the “real universe”. It is depicted by the house’s foundations which start with a paper-like material, with pronounced edges, and which slowly fades until it gets closer and closer to the house’s graphic look.
There is a need to oppose the “real universe” (represented by technology, the phone, the laptop…) and the “tale universe” (the book, the candle, matchsticks and the house itself). This opposition is also present with the color grading, with the real universe having blue-ish and colder tints than the tale universe, with red/orange tints, warmer, and tasty.

The 3D scene has been done in Blender 2.81, textures have been made in Photoshop and Substance Painter. Rendered with Cycles, composited in Blender and Photoshop.

I had the chance, thanks to the wonderful people from BlenderNation.com, to write a Behind The Scenes article which includes early renders and comments of the whole process, the link is here if you’re interested : https://www.blendernation.com/2020/04/22/behind-the-scenes-hansel-and-gretel/

Here’s also the link to the Artstation project : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/OyWANJ

Have a nice day guys ! :slight_smile:

52 Likes

#Featurethis - both creative and technically amazing…

2 Likes

i like it, good work

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

3 Likes

Oh ! No way ! Amazing, it’s a tremendous pleasure to be featured ! Thanks a lot, bartv !!! :smiley:

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Sooooo neeeaaat! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

1 Like

My God this is incredible! really awesome

1 Like

I love the way the book is merged with the house, this is really cool!

1 Like

Yeah, it really is quite brilliant.

1 Like

Wow! It even looks great just in viewport!

1 Like