HAO G Style SMR Hand Guard

Hello Everyone!

After a lot of back and forth for a few weeks this is finally done! Really happy with the texture details and the overall looks.

More on the Artstation post - artstation.com/artwork/BXNkBm

Wireframes -

[ it’s fairly high on tris (about 22k tris) since I was too lazy to optimize the mesh too much :smiling_face_with_tear: ]

Matcaps -

UVs -

Tried to keep the UVs as connected as possible (which took a lot of time).

It’s mainly the bottom 2 tiles since I decided to not render the barrel and muzzle mount.

Texturing -

I tend to make the masks separately (as you can see in the screenshot below) and add them as anchor points later where needed. Keeps things tidy and makes it more manageable for my brain cells :')

A mix between procedural and hand painted masks almost always gives a convincing result.

The paint damage masks were almost fully hand painted, with addition to a bit of the curvature mask.

masks

There were a lot more masks but those 4 were the most influential to the overall looks.

texturing progression

Had to go through 10+ revisions on the texturing. Yeah it was a lot of back and forth.

But despite that

It’s been a blast finding the balance between too much and too little details. The community has been very helpful on giving valuable insights.

Hope to work on many more interesting projects in the future with everyone’s help!

Thanks!

Find me on -
Artstation
Behance
Twitter
Instagram

Have a wonderful day!

8 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thanks a lot! :blush:

1 Like