Hard Edges On Corners

I have a model with a smooth curve, and on the front of the model, I extruded the faces inwards, I trying to make the edges less curved, so they look like a rectangle. So I added support loops, which minimise the smoothness on the edges, but it alters the smoothness of the curved mesh. Is there a method to get the edges more harder?

Thank you.

Try merging vertices on these points in green. And dont let the edges to go all the way around. try to end it when you think its not useful anymore.

Can I share my file so I can see what you mean, So I can see how you’ll do it?

I tried merging the vertices and its causing jagged points on my mesh.

sure ill try

https://topologyguides.com/ check out this site for guidance

I did some more YT browsing and stumbled upon a tutorial by Andrew Price, and saw the Shift +E edge crease option, which did the trick.

I guess whatever works right? But if you ever plan on revisiting areas like this in the future I’d still recommend building it with geometry rather than creasing.

I’m thinking your relying too much on the smooth mod to create your curvature and your underlying geometry is far to coarse to hold any detail. I did a mock up of what I would do in this situation and the scene file:
practice14.blend (680.2 KB)

Hi

This is a great method which you used, without the Edge Crease. I’m a novice Blender user. Within time, Ill understand more about geometry. I’d rather learn the correct way of achieving good geometry to avoid problems in the future. But I still need lots of practise.

Thanks for your insight.

If you wouldn’t mind, can you please tell me if the lines indicated in Red in my example were done using inset?

Thank you.

The diagonal edges (45degree ones) were done by hand, the inner edge loop was using the insert edge tool.

Ok thanks for the prompt responce.

cheers!

Hi Freezerinos!

I’d like to get some information regarding some techniques on mesh topology. Below I have attached an image with lots of user elements on this synthesizer. would this be something that would need lots of loop cuts, in order to be able to make all the necessary holes to fit all these knob controls, sliders, and elements, screen etc etc? Am I thinking correctly on how to approach this type of modelling method?

Thank you.

That Synthesizer is fairly flat so you should be able to get away with focusing on the main shape and using Ngons for the flat pieces.

Is this a 3D model of the image I uploaded? How did you make holes into the top mesh to put the knobs, and buttons and sliders? Can you share your Blender file if it’s available?

It’s just a reference image.

For the knobs and sliders, you can just use boolean with supporting edge loops.

Here is a .blend file with the steps.

1. Use boolean to make the hole
  2. Clean up the boolean
  3. Extrude the new holes down to create the holes and add supporting edge loops.

This method only really works well on flat surfaces though.
1234.blend (609.4 KB)

The problem I had using Booleans was that my image texture wouldn’t adjust on my mesh, and had major dramas, until I had to like you said clean the Booleans. Have a look at how it was and what I had to do, or else the text wouldn’t fall correctly into place.