Hard Won Freedom

Nice! The shining light looks way better now! I like the new blood as well.
There is one spot of blood right next to the stone, i think next to a key, that spot looks like it was mixed with water if you compare it with the other blood stains on the floor.
I noticeed something else that i think might need some fixing up.
The door into the cell and the lightning on that area. Sorry if i am picky.
But the planks on the door look rather toony to me, i think it is the soft eges on it that does it and the texture. Also, is there no light outside the cell at all?
Maybe there is a torch lightening up the dungeon outside or maybe a guard coming.
Or maybe just the moon shining in the dungeon. Again, sorry for nitpicking but i really see the improvements and it is really turning out great! Look for textures for the wood on:

http://mayang.com/textures/

see if you find some more convincing rust details for the shackles too.
Keep it up man!!

is there a way you can get the yellowish outside light with the blue inside. I think it would really make the picture pop. That was my favorite part about the original picture. The outside felt bright and warm, now the whole thing just feels kind of bleak.

Hey, took a break from this project for a while. Finally got back to it though, added back a bit more color to the outside light, more blue to the inside. Fixed the texture on the door. Did a little post editing to lighten the picture.
http://www.peripheralarbor.com/gallery/d/2711-17/Freedom.jpg

Nice to see youre still on the project!
The door looks better but what is that repeating pattern on it??
I think you should render it with low energy AO

Well, they are supposed to be metal studs on the door. Maybe I shoud just go with a non-studded texture and add the studs in the model. Also, there is some AO, but it is subtract only, at 0.7 power. It darkens the corners and cracks between the stones nicely. I could try it with a setting of “both” and see what happenes. I seem to remember that it makes the whoe scene too bright though.
I’ll see if I can get some work on it in tonight.

You have advanced alot from first to last! To make it even more dramatic, you could add there his foot left in chain, that he has cut off to free himself.

take the stud texture off the door. The door is really the only problem with the picture now. I’d go so far as to say just remodel it. No offense at all, it just doesn’t look structurally sound AT ALL. It seems like that would be a pretty important part of a dungeon.

The candle flames leaning in two different directions looks awkward and unnatural to me.

Maybe what’s wrong with the candles is that they’re candles. What I mean is that a dungeon might have torches hanging from a wall but not really candles. It might not be worth the effort, but replacing the candles witch a torch or two sticking out of a crack in the wall might make the scene better.

One problem the candles not light natural way ?!

In real life an candle will cast a shadow on the wall of the candle itself and the flame and then will be the light hallow around it.

yea… the candles going 2 different ways (especially the two by the door/on the stair) is awkward. For the ones across the scene it’s not bad, but for two candles so close to each other going different ways looks wierd.

Adjusted the candles a bit. Added some steel bands to the door, and removed the studded texture in favor of plain wood. Increased the AO intensity.
http://www.peripheralarbor.com/gallery/d/2711-19/Freedom.jpg

Overall, this is a great idea, and is very well-implemented. The trouble I see is that there aren’t any edges. Everything is too smooth, like someone walked around the whole cell with a sander on every corner. Allow some “solid” edges, have some chips broken off from the stone, have the door look less smooth and more splintery (with hard edges between the plans). Like I said it looks great, but still has a cartoony feel.

I disagree on the stone, but I definately think a little crisp edge on the door wood would be nice. It would add a little contrast to the materials in the cell and make it feel a little more real and a little less stylised.

Okay guys, posted another update. I’m going to call it quits on this project. It’s not perfect, but I can’t work on this forever. Thanks so much for all the helpful feedback! I posted the final in the “Finished Projects” forum.