Harrower-class Dreadnought - Star Wars

Still a work in progress. I still need to add the surface nurnies and the main weapons but so far 97% of the greebles are taken care of. I would really appreciate any tips folks can think of though. Some of my greebles don’t look right.

I think your greebles are too uniform. You’ve got lots of tiny details, but no medium sized ones. A few larger panels or distinctive mechanical bits would really make the surface pop. There also might just be too many (Too many greebles? On a star wars ship? Outrageous!) and it actually makes your surface look a little… hairy, for lack of a better word. Looking at say, this star destroyer picture, its interesting how widely spaced the greebles actually are:

So try spacing them out and adding a few larger raised panels onto the surface. It might even (incidentally) reduce your polycount! Hope that helps you!

It’s a great start. Some refinement and such and this will be fantastic. So far I like it a lot!

I see what you mean there. I thought smaller panels would make the ship look bigger but comparing the Star Destroyer to my model it just looks messy. I’ve quickly been working on larger panels and it’s looking much bigger and has reduced my face count by about 1/4. With any luck I’ll have another picture by the end of the day but if not I’ll upload tomorrow sometime.

Okies then. Here’s my end of day update. I’ve removed most of the top greebles and added a ton of them on the sides. I think its looking a little more like the original ships.

Looks much better! And ironically making your greebles larger has increased the sense of scale; the contrast between the large flat and small raised greebles makes the small ones seem even smaller. I do think it needs some kind of identifiable scale reference point. A bridge with obvious lighted windows (or banks of windows on the sides?) would do it; anything your audience will intuitively know the rough size of.

Oh, and how are you doing the greebles? Are they distributed with a particle system or did you place them manually?

The windows along the sides and along the bridge will be the next on the list. The larger panels I’d done by hand but the smaller panels are 6 smaller panel types and an emitter. I’ll also have to work on the engine area (Not quite sure how to make that look appropriately scaled.) and the insides of the hanger bays. Should be good fun and will certainly keep me busy for a few more days. :slight_smile: