Has anyone seen a red metallic map?

Newbie here,I downloaded a rigged fbx and its texture folder,in folder I found three PNG files with the suffix _D, _M and _N respectively for body mesh.I guess it means diff,metallic and normal.But the _M png is red

And Using Node wrangler,I found the RGB channel of the png is red,
(image1)
and the Alpha channel is just like regular metallic map
(image2)
.When directly connecting it to principleBSDF’s metallic node,It doesn’t look correct(whether by color node or alpha node).
(image3)
(image4)
My question is:What should the RGB channel and ALPHA channel of this PNG be?

(Sorry cause I’m limited to post more image at one post)

(Sorry cause I’m limited to post more image at one post)(image 2)

(Sorry cause I’m limited to post more image at one post)(image 3)

(Sorry cause I’m limited to post more image at one post)(image 4)

We have no way of knowing- only the original texturer knows. Who did you download this FBX from? You’re going to have to ask them

Well, actually, they come from the unpacking of the unity game. The unpacker itself doesn’t know how to render correctly:\

So read the Unity manual to see what is what… Or ask in a Unity Forum. Where did you learn to do this? Thats where the info about ‘after the unpacking from the game’ should be. :man_shrugging:

Aside from that. As you have Node Wrangler active have you tried (with the Principled BDSF Node selected) using Ctrl-Shift-T to automatically set up the nodes? That opens a file browser, you find and select all the images you have been showing us, Accept, and they all get connected up. …If the naming follows standard conventions.
If you open the Node Wrangler tab in the Shader side panel you can see the above as a button - Add Principled Setup.

1 Like

Thank you for replying,but Node Wrangler auto mapping shortcut I already knew,it didn’t work.The reason why I don’t ask on the unity forum is because according to the shader knowledge I know,I think problem is not render engine, metal nodes only need any channel of PNG is enough, so the grayscale of the image is usually used to determine the size of the metal value, but this RNG obviously has multiple I’m a little confused about the channel information. I don’t know if blender can directly view the value of each channel,

You mean use a Separate RGB node to split the texture and plug each one in on its own?
That is the standard method to split a texture into its various channels.

1 Like

I see that you forgot to consider the roughness of your metal material as well.

Look here, This is a grey metal with a roughness of 0.5 like yours.

Here is the same metal with a roughness of 0.1.

A rough metal will look plastic, no matter how metallic it is.

Also, if you don’t have a proper environment to make the metal show its reflections you will have no good effect.

1 Like

Judging by your Alpha channel here, It’s weird that your texture has a lot of red areas that are simply cut off by the alpha channel. The only ones that stay are the light pink ones. I guess I could have an idea of what should be done with them by looking at the other textures you have.

What I can say now for sure is that the color output is not the correct one to use there, cause you have red in areas where the alpha channel says there’s nothing. So you should use the alpha, otherwise, you will have metalness in other areas of your model where metal was not supposed to be.

I guess, that texture was supposed to be used in another principled material as the base color and the alpha channel was to be used as a factor to mix the metal shader with the other materials.

2 Likes

thank you for replying.I just found something weird that there is no PNG corresponding to the roughness(cause the whole mesh should have different roughness),they just have _D,_M,_N.Someone on twitter said "permanate shadows or AO are stored in there normal maps (separated Red) ",I think it’s the same reason for this red map.Anyway,I think what you said is the answer I need,thx.

1 Like

That’s the method I never try,I used to use a online web to separate my color channels cause I don’t want to pay Adobe for Photoshop.

Also: ever heard of channel packing ?? See for example wiki.polycount ChannelPacking… so maybeonly on channels is crontrolling the metallness and another the roughness…

And yes…

And so the visual result depends on the render engine and so not only on the complete shader setup… but also on the idea of the setup according to the aimed render engine and their possibilities…

1 Like

As @Okidoki said it is probably a packed channel and the Red data was to go to an emission shader…I see this all the time with the Game Models I work with…though it is usually not in the metallic but in the Alpha channel of the Normal map…But I have seen this…there are also versions that are actually listed for a Specular Workflow…and the metallic is just a solid color, and the specular is colored…but that is usually adding color to the metallic areas…which has to be re-built in Blender…and usually Plugged into the Diffuse, and the Diffuse texture is used for the Specular… If you have a view of the character in-game that would tell you exactly what it is for…

2 Likes