"Haut und Knochen" - Mies van der Rohe

The work you see is an architectural visualisation of a skyscraper that was never built.
The original and only sketch available is the following picture and was submitted by the german architect Mies van der Rohe to a competition on the best design for the first real skyscraper in Berlin in the year 1921.

These years, shortly after the first world war, a new style in architecture became more and more influential. Bauhaus stood for minimalism and functionality. Unnessecary decorative elements were almost entirely omitted. These new ideas were radically new and stood out amongst the pomposity of the “competing” Jugendstil.

Mies van der Rohe more and more took a leading role. His ideas have and still influence the way we design buildings heavily. His main paradigm “Haut und Knochen” - “Skin and Bones” was a new way of limiting the ressources used to glas, the skin, and concrete and steel, as the bones.

With aprox. 145 meters (without vanity height) this building would be, till this day, the heighest skyscraper in Berlin (Even though thats only due to the fact, that the “Fernsehturm” isnt counted as such).
Unfortunately, Rohe´s submission was rejected and a skyscraper at this place actually was build about 90 years later.

I need to admit, that my visualisation is only loosely based on Rohes Plan. Since the given sketch is the only one by himself, I obviously needed to do some architectural work myself.

To better look at this building and to see, how it would look like in todays Berlin I uploaded it on Sketchfab:

i hope you enjoy my artwork!

1 Like