Having trouble with View->Viewport Render Image in cycles

Hello everyone, I’m pretty new to Blender so this might be a really simple fix. I’m having trouble with Viewport Render Image in cycles specifically. I thought it might be some setting I changed in the .blend file I was working on but it happens in this new file also.

The image renders fine from the camera point of view, the image renders fine as “viewport render” in eevee, and I don’t have a render region set. Any ideas?

For reference, here is the setup:

Here is how cycles renders from the camera:
normal camera render cycles
Here is how eevee renders from viewport:
viewport render evee
Here is how cycles renders from viewport:
viewport render cycles

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 Likes

Oh, right, I forgot to say: I’m using Blender 2.92.0 on Windows 10.

Not sure what’s going on here but I’ve had issues like this. I would recommend trying 2.93 and 2.83 LTS as well as updating your graphics drivers and seeing if that doesn’t fix the issue.

1 Like

It does not work for cycles. It is not your system it is a limitation of the option (it would be good if it did!)

Edit: sorry I thought you meant from the view menu “Viewport Render_Image”

1 Like

One situation where this happens is if you disable your scene lights in viewport render mode:

While rendering properly, the lamp would remain activated.

You have paused the viewport rendering: see the little triange right of the viewport choice (only when in cycles)

grafik

I just checked. In my version of 2.92 I get the same results. View>Viewport Render Image while in Cycles rendered mode gives the same blank result. Lighting doesn’t matter. HDRIs don’t matter. Render not paused either. Latest Nvidia drivers. Same in 2.93 LTS and a 3.0 Cycles X build.

It’s not a feature I use very often. Is there any particular reason you need this to work with a Cycles rendered view rather than just positioning your camera and hitting F12 instead?

It’s been reported here

Seems it’s an old issue that has crept back in at some point. From reading some of the older issues related to it, it seems that Blender grabs the viewport render before Cycles has had a chance to render the first sample.

3 Likes

No, you understood me, that is what I meant. I didn’t realize it didn’t work for cycles, I thought I’d seen somebody use it in a tutorial. Thanks for info

Thanks for replying. It doesn’t really affect my workflow, it was just a minor convenience.

Hi - I think I have identified this common problem and it is just as #JohnMalcolm1970 says; it only happens when you try to Viewport Render while in the Render Preview mode. Viewport Render works perfectly well in the other Viewport shader modes.

1 Like

The problem is still here, in 3.51.: Viewport Render Image while in Cycles rendered mode gives a grey screen, while x-y and grid-lines and are presented in “render”. Render viewport while in evee works fine, Render in cycles with using a camera - also works fine. For the concepts I prefer easy to take few render-images from the viewport presaved position and POW with using “Stored views” addon, instead of painfully setaping of dozens cameras and trying to imitate the viewport’s cool points of view, what u take while just working on project.

it’s not a necessary feature, otherways evee render still works fine, but for some complex lighting scenes - cycles would take a little better result

Unfortunately it does not work in cycles. (never has)

Form the manual:
“Viewport rendering only works for the Workbench and Eevee render engines. It’s not supported for Cycles.”

2 Likes

I just hit this — I just wanted to quickly compare Eevee and Cycles viewport output…
And while it really is not essential (the result can be obtained by playing with the render settings and just rendering), I did spend about an hour on-and-off trying to figure it out, since it would be exceedingly convenient.

It would be nice if the UI simply greyed out the “Viewport Render Image” menu item when the Viewport is set to Cycles.

But alas, I don’t care to fix it myself — It has been too long since I was prepared to compile Blender and I am not interested in doing that ATM — all my limited time is going into my Amadeus Project. (And switching to Linux before Windows 10 stops working.)