HDR Lighting (in Blender Internal!!)

http://blendernerd.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/yaynew.jpg

Before you even think of asking: Yes, this uses the Blender Internal Renderer – and it’s a lot simpler than you think!

HDR (High Dynamic Range) is a image format that stores data about lighting and can hence be used to light a scene in blender. In fact, you don’t even need a single lamp!

Find out how you can stun yourself with realism by watching the tutorial!

Find out:
-how to use HDR lighting with the Blender Internal Renderer
-where to get HDR images
-how to set up HDR lighting without any lamps
-the meaning of life

Uses Blender Version: 2.56

TUTORIAL: http://blendernerd.com/hdr-lighting-tutorial/

Thanks, that’s great!

Pleasure :stuck_out_tongue:

nice tut, i knew of this before, but since ive been inactive with blender for a while, i thought i’d give it a go. Heres my result!

nice job! pretty strange materials you got there, look awesome :stuck_out_tongue:

The reflection colour is the materials complimentary colour. Gives it a funky look dont ya reckon?

lol yea… though its hard t see the yellow in the purple one :stuck_out_tongue: looks more like green… I love the floor though

Click on the links below.

Nice tutorial :slight_smile:

Nice Tutorial thanks for sharing. Is there any way to get the light from the hdr image but not have the hdr image render as the backround though ?

You could add a BIG shadeless cube (that casts no shadows - maybe also on a different layer in case)

Hmm I’m not sure what you mean… add a big cube with the sky texture on it ? Would that cast light into the scene ?

No -the shadeless cube musst be a single colour so that you dont see the hdr image.

if you put a shadeless cube in there it would block the HDRI light.

Would it? Even if you set the cube so that it doesnt cast shadows?

Hmm, I could investigate the issue and create a tut if there’s interest…

Sounds great!

If you exclude the sphere material from raytracing you can see the spheres image in the background.
But the mirror reflection still shows the low res HDRI image.

To make it show also in the mirror reflections you can turn traceable on but then this WILL block the light
rays from the low res HDRI file for IBL and the scene is black / dark.

A small tutorial on how to fix this - separate image for lighting, reflection and background in one render.

www.subcult.org/lahlab/blender/el.html

BlueSpider: If You just want to get rid of the background turn off sky on the render layer?

cekuhnen: Yes, but the distance setting under raytrace gather protect us from that. My tut (awaiting moderation) relays on that.