Head-modelling 3/4 view reference how?

I have the front and side background images all good.

I can’t display the background image in any view other than 1, 3, 7, and the camera, that’s fine.

So I’m trying to use a plane textured with the image. It displays alright but i’m having trouble positioning it, because, its not exactly 3/4 view. And i also can only scale the plane not move it further back as its in isometric view.

Am I on the right track?

Anybody know of a tutorial that covers this?

Or should i use an isometric camera? I’m confused.

Press N to show the object properties so you can type in numbers directly for rotation/scale/position or use the 3d transformation widget (the little hand symbol on the 3d view menu bar) to reposition the image plane.

Richard

Ta, Richard. I haven’t made myself clear.

I know that using a textured plane, or a camera, are my options.

I need to know if there are other options, or, failing that, a tutorial that might tell me how best to manipulate this not-quite-3/4 view, so that it can be lined up for accurate modelling.

Or might it be easier to just use front and side and refer to the third image by eye when i necessary?

edit: hang on. I’m saying 3/4. Is that right? Is that what i mean? I mean between front on and side on.

Also, i know i can change the degrees by which the view turns, default being 15 i think i recall.

this is similar to the reference i’m using, by way of example:

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/4254/96359703.jpg

you can move back planes that are in an isometric view. You can set the transformation direction to be ‘view’ oriented, so moving the object on the ‘view’ z-axis will move it directly further away from the camera.

thankyou. that’ll help too.

i think my problem is having to work the angle out by eye.

I think that’s everyone’s problem unless you have the original angle the picture was taken it.

Hey, something that might make it easier to set-up, though: you know about background images for individual cameras, right? Instead of plane objects. Because I find that orbiting a camera around a center works much better for an abstract angle than shuffling a mesh around a static camera view does.

Another good idea, thankyou.