Headphone model and render

Hi! I made these headphones over a couple of days from the reference of my own gaming headset. The model is pretty advanced and accurate and I am happy with it.

I am however not happy with the render. I realise that no matter how good my modeling skills get, my renders allways stay kinda dull.

What are some tips to make this look like a good photorealistic setup? Do I need to furnish an entire room with stuff to make it look convincing? Does it allways take an HDRI to make good lighting?

There, I spent some more time on the setup:

10 Likes

Interesting design, really reminds me of my own headset design, guess great minds think alike :wink:

Well done on the modelling, I know just how tough this piece is.

To answer your rendering questions - no, you do not need the rest of the room nor an HDRI to make good lighting, though an HDRI will help you get something realistic going very quickly. It depends on what you aim to do. It’s not always the way to go.

Personally, I feel like the angle of the camera is not the most interesting, and the parts I would like to see the most on the model are very dark. To get good at product viz, try finding a reference you really like, like a real professional advertisement, and attempt to recreate it with your setup to the best of your ability. That’s how you will learn the most :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I looked around at your stuff on artstation. It is all very impressive stuff. Funny we had the same idea on replacing the logo on the very same headset :smiley:

1 Like

Nice modeling work here :slight_smile:
I think the HDRI can help you have a “base” lighting. Which you could improve with some area lights or emissive planes (if you use Cycles) to play with the reflectiveness of some materials. And to add interest on some parts of the headset. There are plenty of tutorials on the web that could help you to have a better understanding of a “studio lighting” for product design. And there are plenty ways to have fun with lighting, Blender 4.X just had a great update for light linking ! I’m trying to learn this too actually.
Keep up the good work ! :slight_smile:

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Thanks for the featuring! :smiley: