Helios 44-2 - 3D model

Model of the well-known soviet copy of the Carl Zeiss Biotar 58mm f2 called Helios 44 in its 44-2 version. It was delivered with Zenit E and Zenit ES: Film SLR - Zenit-ES model
I created this model to be a performance-friendly realistic asset for my scenes and for the model of the Zenit ES camera. It is also to be used in scenes with my own camera concept - temporarily called AERO1.
All lens elements/optical groups are included in the model.
The model has around 36k polygons.

Blender 2.92, all textures created in Photoshop

Blender 2.92, all textures created in Photoshop

45 Likes

Just the right amount of wear and grunge, very convincing. Great job!

1 Like

Very realistic. I had a tough time telling if some of the renders were reference images or not. lol Great job!

1 Like

very nice, but one detail should be changed for ultimate realism. I see you have used noise / voronoi texture to create like the more mat black pattern. Place that with finger prints since that type of noise pattern isn’t looking natural, but finger prints will!

I quess this texture could represent like chipped paint, but then it’s too grunge. IT works great on the part where there is this super tiny bumps like next to the numbers 1611 8 56 5 etc, but on the bigger part with the orange numbers finger prints will finnish the realism I’m sure if you are into realism that is :slight_smile:

hello,
I get your point but actually, this noise pattern is pretty accurate to my real Helios.
You guessed right that it should represent paint chipping.
If I’d do it again, I would probably draw my own texture instead of relying 100% on generated texture but this is still a more accurate surface than doing the roughness fingerprints difference.
It’s an older model of mine and I agree that it could be textured better, but I still believe, that this is the most accurate Helios 44-2 model out there:D
Thank you for your point!

oh I didn’t know that the paint can chip like that I have never seen camera lens that has so that’s why I thought it looked “fake” though real. on the super little bump it looks real since they can get easily dirty and thus it looks like you have done it :slight_smile:
Still excellent job!

damm. great job on this one.

not only the model/texture quality are amazing, the shots are on point and inline with how the marketing team would present it.

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Beautiful! Have you tried putting the lens in front of the Blender camera and rendering through it? :smiley:

1 Like

I haven’t tried that because you can’t just render through the lens - that is not how lenses work. Instead, I would have to capture the projected image. This is not really effective as it introduces a ton of noise. Cycles isn’t really good when it comes to carrying light through multiple lens elements.
But it is still important to include the optical section to get some nice reflection and depth of the model :innocent:

This is one of my favorite lens. Very nice job!

1 Like