Help for rigging in lotus pose

Hi all.
I have a problem with complex poses.
By following the very nice tutorials by Sebastian Lague, I was able to model and rig a simple wooden mannequin model. Now, with some anatomy books as reference, I am trying to build a basic pose library with the model. Simple positions work well, but I am having troubles with more comples poses, for example the famous “Lotus pose”, with the legs open and crossed. Do you have any suggestion or tip?
Thanks.

Mannequin D 15 Custom Root with Handle.blend (1.1 MB)

Yes it’s not easy even with a real wooden dummy.
Being real dummy or CG with a simple rig it’s a simplification of the human body.
Here is my take on it :

Mannequin D 16 Custom Root with Handle.blend (1.7 MB)

1 Like

Hi sozap, really nice, and thanks for the blend file.
Would you mind to explain a bit the steps you used to got the result? I made several attempts, by grabbing and/or rotating the bones (also the controls, as in the Lague tutorials), but the legs start to assume weird positions.
Thanks,

When I try to use a naive rig to do extreme poses like this, it always looks pretty awful. So I made my own hips/pelvis rig.

There is an even newer and more flexible hip rig I’ve made, which is NSFW. If you are interested, you can go to my Flipped Normals page at https://flippednormals.com/creator/philovivero/ and find it there. There is a free overview in the spirit of the above video, and a full tutorial where I build it bone-by-bone.

1 Like

Hum, nothing really fancy here :smiley:

A few tricks :

• I moved a bit the base of the leg outward.

• I posed one leg and mirrored it , with CTRL-C / CTRL-Shift-V in pose mode, then tweaked the second leg.

Weird positions could come from the pole that orient the knee, if it’s too close to the knee you may have issues.

You can post a .blend where you get stuck , it would be simpler to see how to solve the issue here.

Or maybe start by doing simpler poses and grow in complexity, so you get better used to the rig !

1 Like

Thank guys, help much appreciated.
@ philo_vivero:
I watched your video and the site material. The results are surely impressive, but the level is quite complex, at present I must understand the basics of rigging.

@sozap:
After seeing what you were able to do with my simple rig, I made other tests. By playing mainly with the control bones I was finally able to obtain a decent lotus pose. Sincerely I went mainly by trial and error, I have to better understand the mechanism of IK.

Thanks a lot

Posizione 8 Seduto a gambe incrociate.blend (1.1 MB)

2 Likes

Cool well done !
Trial and error is ok, you need to get a feeling on how these tools works .
It will get better with time and practice !