Help: How Do I Remove Environment Reflection From Floor Only (Blender 2.79)?

Hey guys, here’s my scene, i’m using 2.79 cycles

Can you please help me solve the following:

1. How do I remove the reflection of the environment fro the plane only? I want the reflection of the environment to show on the Texts (Blender). And I only want the plane to reflect the Texts and not the environment.
  2. Also, I already have remesh modifier on the Blender Text, but my problem is, Why is the Reflection on the Text’s sides still look like streak of lines instead of the same reflection as those on the front faces?

Thanks in advance

Hi there,
Since you have two different reflective materials and you want to have only one of the materials to reflect environment, I think you are talking about having two different world settings for one scene.
That may not be possible with the Blender version you are using or with the current. But however, I figured out a way to achieve what you want.

First, Go to world node setup and add a MixRGB node between the Environment Texture and Background nodes. Add a Light Path node and connect the ‘Is Reflection Ray’ output to factor MixRGB node. This will prevent the reflective materials from reflecting the environment.
Now, Move the text mesh (“Blender”) to a different layer, and in the ‘Render Layers’ tab, mask this layer (the layer which you moved your text to). You can render the frame/animation now. Resulting frames will have a masked out area where the ‘text’ was.
After finishing render, return to the World node settings and remove the Light path and MixRGB nodes. And connect Environment Texture directly to the Backgroung node. Now in the ‘Render Layers’ tab, remove the mask of text layer and, mask the layers where you dont want your materials to reflect the environment.Render again and combine it with the initial render.
Hope I didnt made it complicated :grimacing: Feel free to ask me if you didnt got it.

I’m not sure is there any better way or doing this in 2.81.
Hope this will help you.

Just a side note, if you remove reflections from background everything will become gray, so essentially is like having no background at all. Another idea is to embed the texture inside the letters and use UV reflection coordinates.

1 Like

i would like to try this method, however, how do i do it with a Principled BSDF that has for example A Gold color (Yellow with Metallic turned to 1). Where will I connect the Environment Texture in the Principled BSDF (since the Color input has already the Yellow one)?

monkeyglossy_goldbdsf.blend (574.1 KB)

For environment, Blender uses a different tab for its node setup.
Object shaders are done in Object node tab as well as the environment can be controlled in the World nodes tab.
We can switch between these by clicking their respective icons (highlighted in the snapshot).

So I hope now you understand where to put the Environment Texture node.Node tabs