Help me make a dense moving floor fog loop

I am fairly new to blender and am animating a looped scene of a dark grimy room. I’ve tried making a still room fog just by changing some textures to a cube but I thought I could do better. I don’t really know much about smoke simulation but I would like to make a loop of slow moving dense fog/mist that sort of sticks to the floor. I also wanted the smoke to be emitted and around the room before the start of the animation if that makes sense.

I will also have various lights on it, If that matters to know.

I saw a post on stack exchange and someone used this image and I think its just about what I am looking to create. There will be no object moving on the floor so I am not really worried about it colliding with stuff.

Thank you guys for any help!

I would suggest a solution that doesn’t use any simulation.

fog_version_1.blend (1.0 MB)

This is a mesh with a displacement modifier and a volume shader. The displacement’s texture is controlled by an empty, which is animated with a slow movement (the animation is set to linear interpolation and linear extrapolation, so it’s an infinite movement).

You can expand or reshape the mesh like you want as well as change the density in the material. Though you may have to tweak or remake the setup if your scene has a different scale.

Note that the render settings are important: I gave the volume some bounces, as it’s the only way to get realistic white fog.

4 Likes

Thank you so much that looks great and should work perfectly! I will try it out but seriously thank you beastmode that is awesome!

2 Likes

Hi, I put the fog in my scene and it looks so awesome! I have been trying all day to figure out how to get it to perfect loop with no luck, so I was wondering if you might have a quick fix. my scene is 406 frames long.

Any ideas is greatly appreciated, but if not you have already been such help so thank you again!

1 Like

In order to get the fog to loop I’d suggest offsetting the texture cordinate by the rotation of an empty object… This way when the empty object rotates 360 degrees the volumetric pattern should loop perfectly.
I hope this helps!

3 Likes

That would loop, but I just tried it and you need to make the loop very long (thousands of frames), or else the movement of the fog is going to be crazy fast.

If it has to loop, I think I might use an image texture instead, though the shape of the fog will be a bit more static as it translates, as you lose the 3D aspect of the noise.

Or you could do a crossfade in post processing, after rendering, if the scene allows it.

2 Likes

Thank you guys both! I tried looping it with 360 degrees before you made the suggestion but after you suggested it I went back and reworked it just changing the sclae and it works good. You guys are legends thank you guys again so much.

1 Like