Help me with topology on my human model

Hello !
On the overall it can work , it’s not perfect but not a tragedy either…
The face might need more work but it’s hard to judge on the screenshot.

On the overall, to sum up, the topology flow should highlight muscles, so when it’s deformed it’s possible to add creases there.
In some cases you made that, in others you just messed the topology to probably even the polycount, and even the loop’s vertices number in some places.

In the end , it’s probably possible to take your model, rig it , and make some animations and the result should work, but if you want to add some muscle details or try to do highly realistic deformation on close up shots the topology is going to get a bit in the way.
But for general cases from a distance it should work.

Basically it give the impression that you started with the front and finished with the back where there is much more weird topological decisions there.

Finally, the face is probably going to need more work since it’s the area of focus and it deforms a lot.

Maybe the best way to see how it works is to take your model and try to make facial expressions and poses with it, you are probably going to get a better feel of what is missing or what is difficult to do with the topology.

Something else that I recommend if you really want to become really good at that is to study parts individually.

Like one day to take a hand, and study different models, and try to make a nice retopo, then you can take a arm, a leg, a chest, a face…
Once you are satisfied with all that you can look into a full body.

I also recommend to study Chris Jones work : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueYtM2KprqY
There is a thread here : Human Progress

What is really cool is that he uses very light polycount and yet manage to put all the needed detail, maybe that’s another way to improve your models :
Try to make the simplest topology first, and then add only the necessary missing details if any.

What makes Chris Jones’s work really great is that he uses some displacement maps, shape keys and rig tricks to add layers of details and muscle deformation on the mesh. That way the topology can stay very simple.
But it’s also possible to add more details in the mesh so it’s easier to add details , but then the topology is harder to maintain…

Hope that helps to give you ideas, practice makes perfect !

1 Like