Help me

hello sir, my name is Rishikeshwar im from India i have 1 years of experience in 3d modeling.im working in one small startup company in which they put in every task like cloth sim,hair dynamics, rig, etc but, i joined as 3d artist and environment artist.I said i have to good in modeling but they put me in different task that also not giving proper guideline or tutorials. So, can I continue with what they say or just looking for other company.

I need your advice for this sir sorry for asking this thing in this platform
https://www.artstation.com/rishikeshwar

AFAIK 3D artists is a very general job description… Maybe they meant more a 3D generalist sinced you say…

… so if you only experienced in 3D modeling… you may have to clearify this…

Possiblities:

• they still can use you and give you proper model jobs or even guide you to some other areas
  • they just wanted more… and so will fire you (but then you can gain experience in some other job…)

:person_shrugging:
Hard truth as i do see this…

Hello @Rishi_Keshwar !

I gave your portfolio a quick look and it’s quite promising !
But keep in mind that a lot of aspiring artists got more or less similar porfolios, sometimes a bit better , sometime a bit less. On top of that, there are a lot of modelers in the market so once again it’s not simple to get hired at this stage.

If you really want to work as a modeler you might need to work a bit more to get more chances to get a job. If environments is your thing I expect to see at least 2/3 very high detailed environment scenes, preferably with some variations : What about having one medieval outdoor, a sci-fy interior and a modern street from a big city ?
If character is your thing, I expect something that showcase anatomical knowledge,
if you’re more into hard surface I expect a few highly detailed pieces , like a plane engine or something like that.

But, anyway that doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to find a job, but keep in mind that serious companies might prefer to pay more and to get someone with more experience.

Now back to your current job it’s either your are really not interested in learning something else and want to focus on modeling, then improve your porfolio.
Or why not taking that situation as a learning opportunity ? They either don’t care or they might be testing you to see how you manage to work by yourself.
In both case it’s always good to show that you can solve problem on your own.
Try to find related tutorials, do some tests, manage to make stuff useful to them. This will always be valuable to you and this kind of learning always pays of in the long run.

And as said , if that’s really not your thing keep practicing what you like and eventually it will pay off too !

Good luck !

1 Like

thank you for advice

really thanks for your advice

1 Like

The trick that companies do to save money, is to hire multi-skilled employees, who can do many things.

Also another point is that 3D modelling is getting deprecated, in favor of photoscan / asset-kits / procedural generation.

Depending on the tasks and jobs that the company executes, modeling can be useful or useless.

The best modeling jobs I have seen so far, is within Architecture where you draw CAD home plans all the time, or Industrial design where you design and iterate and optimize real world objects. Perhaps I would say that modeling of characters (for figurine companies) is somehow treated as “art collectibles” which is unpredictable. However say you work for an industrial company that does X and Y then you will stay in the zone because the job demands are always the same. But if you work for a “special effects company” you might end up doing whatever because the field is vast and it contains lot of details.

1 Like

Yeah for small companies this is much better especially if they don’t need ultra advanced work.

I won’t say that modeling is deprecated, but yeah there is a lot of pre-made stuff that can save time.
There is also a lot of people doing modeling since it’s probably the first thing we try and it’s not too technically involved. How many modelers there is for one rigger ?

In cartoon animation nearly anything needs to be modeled , and each time you need to fit to a particular style, even for realistic SF or fantasy or similar pre-made assets won’t work.

But yeah, in the other hand I’m pretty sure nobody models realistic rocks or plants nowadays since they can probably find more than they need in megascans.

Anyway, @Rishi_Keshwar what you can do is to take a project that you wish you’d work on, and look for junior artists that worked there. You can probably find them in the credits at the end of a series episode, or maybe linked in, artstation.

Of course it doesn’t mean you need exactly the same porfolio since there is a lot of jobs opportunities beside series and movies, but looking at various junior profile might give you a glimpse of what kind of porfolio is expected and what quality standard you need to reach to get a position !

3 Likes

Why this link ?

https://learnaboutcat.com/category/food-nutrition/

I’m flagging the post since it looks like spam to me…

he literally chatGPT’d your previous comment. lol

1 Like