Help Needed: Black Eye Issue in Render Preview Mode

Hello Blender Community,

I’m reaching out for assistance with a perplexing issue I’ve encountered that stated in Blender 4.0.2, and continues with 4.1. I’m hoping someone here can help shed some light on it.
Background: I’m currently working on a project involving character animation. My system configuration includes an Intel i9-13900k CPU, Nvidia RTX 4090 GPU, and 64GB of RAM. It has been running smooth as butter.

The Problem: In render preview mode, I’ve noticed that the character’s eyes intermittently turn black when they are moved around. This issue seems to occur specifically during render preview mode (Cycles) and doesn’t affect the final rendered output. Also, when I do a quick toggle from material preview back to render preview the issue will correct itself and the eyes will be visible again (until I move the eyes again). I am not sure why this issue started, but Blender 4.0.2 was running fine until a Window 11 update version 23H2 for x64 (KB5036035) a few days ago. I am not really sure it is the cause.
The issue persists even after adjusting viewport and system preferences.
I’ve verified that my render settings remain at default values (Simplify settings: 6).
My GPU drivers are up to date, and I’ve ensured that the Nvidia RTX 4090 GPU is selected as the compute device for rendering and viewport acceleration.
I have lights in the scene and HDR.

Any assistance or guidance you can provide would be immensely appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

Welcome :tada:

…there was (is) a problem with some drivers (but in EEVEE using material, rendered previe or final rendwer; not in cycles render ) when the subsurface value is 0… (since 3.3 ??) using anything slight

:thinking:
…or…

If you have some eye model and using some “double” geometry for the eye and the eye liquid… the this might be some overlapping problem only visible in preview using different max samples (or something) ???

Thank you for your response.
I’ve double-checked the Subsurface value in my materials, and after playing around with values I found it’s not the issue.

I also investigate the possibility of overlapping geometry for the eyes and eye liquid, as you suggested, but it also was not the issue. What is really strange is the eyes turning black is affecting all of the projects that has this character. I even opened a project I haven’t opened in weeks and it too has this eyes turning black problem. I haven’t changed any setting or added any new add-ons.

If anyone else in the community has encountered a similar problem or has additional suggestions for troubleshooting, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Indeed this sounds… strange… ( maybe still a driver problem )… :person_shrugging: