Help needed - blown wool insulation

Help needed - blown wool insulation

I have a task to visualize blown wood wool insulation - photo as an example. I need it for wall section visualisation. Is it possible to make such material with Fur? I’m open to any suggestions how to make it? :slight_smile:
Any help would be appreciated.

If it need to be as detailed as the reference photo then I think it would be much easier to make something like this with a procedural volume shader

If it’s possible to do with hair particles? Sure it is! But this looks dense, so it might get expensive performance-wise due the amount of particles needed.

You’ll need to play mainly with the roughness settings. They’re accessible when using Children. To make it clump-like enter Particle Mode, switch to Tip particle selection mode and pull everything down to form arcs.

Here is a very quick test:

The more particles you use clumpier it’ll look, hiding the trick.
These are the values you’ll have to experiment with.

wool-insulation_roughness

Ideally you’ll want to use two systems, one for the clumped “mass” and a secondary with sparser and rougher hair to represent individual lighter fibers sticking out of the clumps.

1 Like

That’s an amazing quick test! Love it…

thats the colest I could get to the reference
I wasn’t abe to get those needles sharp enough but you can add them with a simple fur setup.

test.blend (750.4 KB)

1 Like

same material with additional hair system
test.blend (781.7 KB)

1 Like

Awesome :slight_smile:
Thank you very much for help.