Help on matching lighting from a Lego Movie Scene?

Okay, that makes sense. I see what you’re saying about the ACES stuff too. It definitely does have problems. As I mentioned above, I don’t really know anything about color management, but it seems important. What would be the best way to learn about it if I wanted to delve deeper into it?

Yep, you’re right. I found this out Monday when I was combing through the film and saw that window from a different angle. I had built the model wrong in my scene, so it was definitely messing up how the light looked.

I hadn’t even considered this. It’s a great idea.

Thank you for pointing that out, because I wouldn’t have seen it! After reading your post, I changed the color and did a quick render and the new color matches the reference.

Good to know!

Thank you for all the advice! It’s super helpful. I’ll get to work on it.

First is to realize what a significant impact it has on the work; it’s the pixels. Then start with basics and learning how a pixel works. I’ve started on a series that you might find helpful, or not. Hard to know. It’s made the rounds at a few post houses.

While it isn’t quite yet at the subject of gamut mapping, and scene referred versus display referred, there is enough there to at least get you asking the right questions hopefully.

Bear in mind that every shot will be cheated. There isn’t going to be the “as seen” consistency, although it can give you a decent idea of geometry. I’d wager that the light in the shot in question has been carefully cut and carved specifically for that shot.

Get the light in the proper position and angle in the broad strokes, then work on gobos to block the light and sculpt it to match.

Your model and such is in the ballpark, but as you have found out, the more subtle position of a hot light can dramatically influence the overall result.

I’d wager that if you block in the three fills and the two primary sources, and spend a bit of time sculpting that primary left source through the window, you’ll see a significant step toward matching the original shot.

1 Like

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread, but thanks for the awesome link Troy!

Thank you! It’s really fascinating so far. I’ve never stopped to consider this kind of stuff (because I didn’t understand it), so it’s fun (and helpful) to have someone explain it.

You’re right on. Since I read your last post, I’ve been noticing how the lighting in the movie is inconsistent when the same room is seen from different angles.

Cool. Thank you again for all your help! It’s been what I needed.