Help.Remove material glare in Cycles

Hello blender guru! How to remove intermittent glare on the car material. Render cycles. Attached is a video.

It looks like a reflection of your flashing lights (it goes away when the car turns the corner).

Ie the lights are reflecting on something in the scene and that reflection is hitting the car.

Or possibly reflection of the sun (not sure why it would flash though)

Glare from the sun.

1 Like

Yes that was my second thought.

Maybe it’s possible to somehow control the sun using nodes?

You can do some things with nodes but I am not sure about getting rid of that.

I see you are using glare/bloom in the compositor, if it goes away when you turn off the compositor, you could try isolating the cars lights in another scene and putting the glare only on the lights, then alpha over.

Still not sure why the sun flickers.

When you increase the sun value, the hard glare disappears but the shadow becomes very soft. I think this is due to the high light in the sun.

This looks like the sun’s reflection is so small that it’s smaller than 1 pixel, which causes it to flicker in an out of existence.

There are a few things that could help:

• Increase the “angle” setting of the sun so its reflection is wider.

• Increase the roughness of the car’s material so the reflection is spread out and becomes wider.

• Adjust the sampling settings so the small highlights have a better chance of being visible in the render. The main way you could do this is by increasing the “min samples”. The problem here might be that the highlights take too many samples before they start to appear and Cycles think they don’t exist and stops looking for them. The min samples setting will give them a better chance. If this is too complicated, you could try disabling the noise treshold (uncheck the checkbox) for the same effect (the render will be slower, but Cycles will not stop looking for and miss any detail).

• Render at double resolution, then reduce the images back to their intended resolution. This is good advice anytime you are trying to capture small details. If you do this, you can adjust the sampling settings so the render doesn’t take any longer than it did before, because the higher resolution gives you better image quality for fewer samples (if you have disabled noise treshold, it will be 1/4 the samples for the same time, you would need to do a bit of trial and error if it’s on to find the correct values).

1 Like

Found an option using two suns. One sun for the shadow, the other for the highlight. For the shadow - the highlight is disabled in the object settings. For the highlight - the shadow is disabled.

1 Like