Help! Subsurface modifier is shrinking object/mesh!

using subsurface modifier is causing mesh to shrink moving pre-existing vertices from their original position, so i have had to add/insert edge loops and scale/move vertices into place manually, which eats up a lot of time.:frowning:

please tell their is an alternate subdivide plugin that maintains the original size/volume of an object or that subsurface will be getting an upgrade to fix this?

Hi

In Subsurf modifier Clik Simple Button instead of Catmull - clark …:slight_smile:

Tai

“subsurface modifier is causing mesh to shrink” - this is how this thing mathematically works in poly modeling, there is no way around.
Alternatively, there is some part of something called OpenSubdiv implemented, but i think you’ll find it limited in use and having similar deficiency - you’d have to mark your curvatures which is additional workload.

Do not use Subsurf - model with sufficient mesh density and use smooth shading? I doubt this will ease modeling though, so likely no, no alternatives and i haven’t seen anything regarding upgrades coming this way too.

The whole point of the subsurf modifier is to ‘smooth’ out the vertices; it does it by multiplying the vertices/faces/edges by a factor you stipulate in the modifier panel and then rounds them out. This causes the mesh to shrink. If you need sharp edges, then it’s normal to add supporting loops which you’re doing, but you can also use bevel modifiers and other tactics to maintain the general shape.

If you just want to subdivide the amount of vertices in your mesh, then selecting all faces in edit mode, press ‘W’ and then ‘Subdivide.’ Or use use the subsurf modifier, set the type to ‘simple,’ then ‘apply’ it.

Hey, have you tried marking sharp edges, setting edge creases, or using the edge split modifier? When I worked on a car-ish shaped time machine a while back that’s how I did it. Never finished, though, maybe I should get back to that :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I’ve run into this exact issue, where I’m taking objects created by photogrammetry, cleaning them up in Blender, and then running the Subdivision modifier with the Catmull-Clark algorithm, which gives more visually satisfying results than the Simple algorithm. As mentioned earlier in this thread, not only does it make the object shrink a bit, but it makes all of the individual elements that are sticking out of an object shrink a little bit too.

For example, if you have a fork object and you run the Subdivision modifier with the Catmull-Clark algorithm, not only will the overall object shrink a little, but the individual tines on the fork will become a little skinnier.

Is there a modifier or technique I can use that can “inflate” the object a bit (kind of like inflating a balloon) after I’ve run the Catmull-Clark algorithm? I’m thinking specifically of the fork example I mentioned above. I want to increase not just the size of the fork, but inflate the size of the individual tines too.

That’s just how the subdivision surface modifier works, it treats the mesh like a cage.
You can inflate your selection in edit mode with Alt+S

1 Like

“Intended functionality” is not “an issue”. The subdivision modifier reduces the volume of geometry. That’s how smoothing works. There’s no need for further replies here, this thread is 7 years old and it was never an issue in the first place

Thanks, @GrimZA! That approach works great!