Help understanding "asset" behavior

Hello. I am having some issues understanding some Asset Browser behavior.

I’m putting together some custom rigging widgets that I’d like to share with our artists using the asset browser. My thinking was I’d provide them as an asset which would be appended into their scene for further customization.

Right now I have a Radio Selector-style controller that allows one of several variants to be chosen by manipulating the position of a “null” object which in turn switches the geometry on the output group. It works well, and I am happy with the mechanic.

The issue is when I append the asset from the asset browser I the artist cannot modify it in the same way as if I used file->append. None of the subcollections show up and there is no way to modify the control handle. If I link the asset I can use library overrides. And I suppose this would work, but I’d really prefer to not have it linked; I’d rather it be appended so that if I change something about the master asset it doesn’t mess up anything that depends on the link. So I really need this rig, along with the handles, constraints, logic and drivers to be appended, not linked.

Using file-> append does work as expected. But asset browser appends do not have the same behavior. Is there any way to get the asset browser assets to append in a similar way?

When appending collections, the asset browser uses instancing, so you need to convert the instances to real objects. I’m not sure if you’ll retain all the data though.