Help With Converting to .STL file for 3D Printing

Hello Everyone,
I am trying to create a very basic 3D version of a geometry dash cube in blender.
This Is what it is based off:

The original .blend file is like the image of the .stl loaded into blender down below but without the silly looking distorted triangles so it actually looks good.

Now for the problem,
I am trying to convert this to a .STL file for 3D printing, and when done, it ends up looking like this:

As shown, it creates very distorted triangle markings on the face of the cube, and using the 3D print addon for blender it shows a lot of bad things:
Intersect Faces: 102
Zero Faces: 952
Thin faces: 126
Sharp Edge: 12
Overhang Face: 136 (Some of these are because of the eyes but I’m not worrying about them for now)
I am new to blender and don’t know much about this but would appreciate any help.
I cannot attach files because I am a new user, sorry.

Thanks,
CheezyPants12.

Triangles are not necessary bad for 3D Printing.
If you have distortions with a flat shading, that implies that all vertices involved in description of cubic face of character are not coplanar.

An hundred of intersecting faces means that you did not create a coherent envelope, that could be correctly interpreted by slicer.
Zero Faces means that some vertices may be merged.
Thin Faces or Sharp Edges means that angles between faces don’t leave enough space to fill volume between them with printing material.

There clearly was a problem in the way you created your model.
If you want to use boolean technique to create such model, you have to try to match mesh density on operands before the merge.
If you subdivide or remesh the cube before merge, you not end-up with big triangles issues, but small triangle ones.

Remesh modifier in Voxel mode can help a lot, to obtain a clean result in a merge of such basic shapes.

1 Like

Welcome :tada:…

…please spend a little more time in the forum (or even complete the discobot :robot: tutorial… see your DM or the FAQ to be able to… :wink:
( of course you could also use an external link… but if it disappears no other could learn from this…)
This said…:

So you “original” blend does not have this difficulties ?? Then maybe you have to scale it up ( or down ) because this may be precession problems ??

For example: you applied scale ( Ctr-a → Scale) …so it has a scale of 1.0 for x,y, z ??

( Also you may have some trouble with 3D-printing later because STL has no real “dimension”… there where some posts about this… you may try the search feature :mag: top right… or ask some more about your specific problems here… )

And… ( as you can see while i was away from keyboard after starting this reply… )… there are other who much more about 3D printing… ( for example the mentioned 3D printing software… :wink: )

Hello, thank you for your reply,
I will attach my .blend file and the .stl file I am getting when I export.
The 3D printing software being used is flashprint 5 if that is useful to anyone.
GD Cube Screaming.blend (961.8 KB)
GD Cube Screaming-Cube.stl (49.8 KB)
When I upload to other printing software such as the built in microsoft one it shows these bad details just more subtle. (I think it is just rendering badly)
Thanks,
CheezyPants12
(Edit: Yes I did apply scale to 1.0 but then adjusted some parts which didn’t do anything because before i did that it was same result of the .stl.

The file you linked, and the STL, had disconnected parts. Not an expert in the actual act of 3d printing, but I have done sculpts for customers that intended to print them, and disconnected parts didn’t work so well if you’re looking to print it as one object from the get go. When I joined all the parts, flattened the faces that were giving you issues, remeshed everything together, and did some decimating so the file was less nuts in size, and double checked for nonmanifold geometry, I ended up with this, if you want to check it out for ideas.

Thankyou very much!
This seems to have gotten rid of any visual mistakes.
However Because of the amount of vertices, there seems to be many errors (Overhang Faces are obvious):

I have also found another problem which I don’t know how to fix, being the fact that the vertices of the teeth are unaligned with the mouth:

If someone could help me find out how to combine these faces/vertices that would be appreciated! (Because this is what I think is causing most of the zero faces.)

Thanks,
CheezyPants12