Help with Photoshop's 3D Texturing

Hey everybody, I’m having trouble trying to paint over my head model in photoshop, like for example I try to color one area blue and merge down with it and it didn’t show that the area had been colored. Then I noticed that I can paint one certain area but not the rest. Can someone help me out on this?

Sounds like you have a selection made. Any selection will limit the area you can paint to, so you may need to ctrl-D to deselect and then paint.

But I didn’t make a selection, just to even be sure I did what you said there, uv unwrapped my model before exporting it into .3ds format, and when I import it into photoshop, make a new layer, and just paint where ever then merge down, it only shows in a specific area.

I don’t think I follow exactly - I am assuming you have assigned an image texture to your mesh, and you have exported a wireframe of your uv’s to follow in a layer in photoshop. Maybe share a screen grab of the problem, as well as tell what kind of image you are painting on. I can paint in photoshop just fine and save my work, so I must assume there is some condition that is not normal in your situation.

But I didn’t make a selection, just to even be sure I did what you said there, uv unwrapped my model before exporting it into .3ds format, and when I import it into photoshop, make a new layer, and just paint where ever then merge down, it only shows in a specific area. Anyways, here’s a video I did instead of what’s happening, no audio but some quick text.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoT3GsHTUGY&feature=youtu.be

But yeah, either way, layer of it’s own or just on the model itself I’m usually in between the middle brow region.

I didn’t see this person merge down liek that, so I am wondering if you can get some idea from watching his method. I personally do not paint my textures this way - I use the new paint tools in Blender in the 3d view in texture paint mode. More interactive for me, especially when I have the image plugged into a combination of shaders as well.

I’ve watched that video as well, this guy however did it differently and I thought well I would succeed in doing that but I was wrong.

I assumed it was because I haven’t uv unwrapped my head properly but with seams unwrapping or just project from view unwrapped it doesn’t matter. I’m not sure if it has to be mapped to an image already or what. Like in the video you linked me I’m able to do that just from having to switch back and forth, not having to do it just by painting on the model. I’m aware that I can use the clone brush and such with two different images on model and have those combined as one texture but I’m just wanting to learn how to do it for photoshop too with more layers, filters, and other such. Blender has those too but for what I’m doing is for real-time usages.

I don’t know why it won’t work, but I’m not shelling out extra money for the expansion of my photoshop :smiley: I have all I need in Blender now in the recent builds with Psy-Fi’s new paint tools and stencil painting, as well as Kgeogeo’s stencil widget addon. To me, painting in blender is much easier and the ability to rotate the brush, as well as stencil directly and masking… well, I’ve never been a fan of painting with filters.

Good luck, maybe post up a better tutorial video after you get it working the way you envisioned, perhaps that way you can help everyone else down the road.