Help With Shadows Making the Object Look Like it's Floating?

I am making a scene here, and I looked closely to find out that all my objects on the ground look like they are floating. The objects are, in fact on the ground, they are even intersecting it. But the shadows are only rendering just past the object onto the ground. How would I fix this?
Thank you in advance!

This seems pretty odd - I know that Eevee lights sometimes need to use contact shadows to help connect the object to the ground to prevent light leaks (and you can read about that in the manual here: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/2.83/render/eevee/lighting.html#contact-shadows), but this seems different to me. I have a hunch…

I’m thinking that you may be using the subdivision surface modifier on your ground geometry, and in the viewport, it shows that your trees intersect because you have a different subsurf level set for your Viewport than your render. If this is the case, to fix it, you should set your viewport and render levels the same in the subsurf modifier and make sure your trees intersect before re-rendering.

If that’s not it, maybe you could share your .blend file and we could take a deeper look for you.

Well, what do you know. I don’t have a subsurf modifier on my terrain, (or anything for that matter). I just forgot to turn on contact shadows. That’s where the issue was. Thank you!

1 Like

Glad I could help!

1 Like