Henschel Hs 129 "Tank Cracker"

Did some work on the engine. Pretty much done, thinking off adding some bolts.

Attachments

Nice work on the radial engines…:cool: the whole plane is coming together nicelly!!!

Thanks a lot man! They’re so rad :cool:

Lengthened the wings and added a small boxy thing under the wing. Going to do the propellers then the 75mm gun!

Looks quite good.
You can try to enhance a little bit the frontal area of this Gnome - Rhône 14M engine: especially its heads had a different shape. They were wider, and each had a row in the middle:

This “small boxy thing under the wing” it is the oil radiator.

Now its time to “paint” this airplane - you will have to UV-unwrap it, then create appropriate textures…

Thank you!

Seems like there are two versions of the engine I was modeling off of the photos below.

Shouldn’t make a difference since it’ll be covered.

Maybe I should model everything then uv-unwrap and make textures, it would hard to do both at the same time.

Thanks for the help man, really appreciate it.

You are welcome :).
This is the same engine, in your photos it has additional deflector, which directed the airflow around every head, for efficent cooling.
You are right, the cyllinder heads are invisible under this deflector, so you do not need to model them.

Looking at these engines in your model you can see that the most visible elements in this area are the rods in the front of the cyllinder heads. Note that these rods are arranged in pairs, each pair had characteristic “V” shape (that’s I have mentioned the cyllinder heads - they were much wider, shaped into “double horns”). These V’s rods attached to the cyllinders in the rear rings are much more oblique than the V’s rods for the front heads. If you want to improve a little this detail, you can rearrange them in this way.

That’s pretty cool!

I’ll try to arrange the rods in that shape.

Thanks.

Made the propellers, they seem a bit off from the reference images but I can fix it later if I feel like that needs to be done. Made the long-ish curve things which are on the engine coverings (what the hell is that?) and made a rough model of the gun pod which will house the 75mm gun. I’ll work on the gun pod.
Gonna try and rearrange the rods. And make the little pockets in which the propellers will sit in.

There are some things I’m having problems with and hoped you guys could help.

First off how do I make the holes which are in the 75mm guns barrel? I really can’t think of anything.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]312964[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]312965[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]312966[/ATTACH]

Also when I texture the plane I’ll make panels, lines, etc. on the textures which will then show on the plane. But do I have to actually model the part, like a panel on the plane? Is the texture enough to give the look or is it better to actually model the part?

Thanks!

links didn’t come through on that last one, care to repost?

Oops… here they are.

Not that I’m the best to answer this, but instead of making the outer part of the barrel out of a cylinder and cutting holes in it, try making it from a plane that you model one row of holes in and the use an array modifier to form the cylinder.

I don’t know if that is the best solution or not.

I’d start with one set of holes and use the boolean modifier to get a base mesh, then I’d go back and do a bit of cleanup (you will definitely need to do cleanup after the boolean modifier). after you get a clean set of holes, then you could duplicate the topology for however many rows of holes there are.

Hummm ok thank you both. The boolean modifier makes an intersection right? Take half of a sphere put it in a cube and an impressed half sphere will show in the cube? I don’t exactly understand what you’re suggesting SterlingRoth, can you be more clear please? :slight_smile:

I have an idea, what if I take the barrel and I take a sphere, put it in place, and make impressed, indented semi-spheres in the gun barrel and then just delete their faces, I’ll have a hole right? I can then keep doing it for the rest of the holes too.

(post got posted twice)

Attachments

I did it! Thank youSterlingRoth for giving the suggestion on using the boolean modifier. I did the idea I had worked well.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]313241[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]313242[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]313243[/ATTACH]

OMG, it looks great and it would have never occured to me to use spheres, so TIL use spheres+boolean to open round holes in a cylinder, I was using circles and manually creating the needed hole…D’oh

Anywho, looking amazing @coolfield7 can’t wait to see it textured

Haha! Thanks a lot man :smiley: I

It took a long time to finish but it was new and interesting. I think it looks better with flat shading so here’s a render with that.