Henschel Hs 129 "Tank Cracker"

About panels: yes, draw them on the textures.
It is much easier to draw panels on the textures than to model them, and textured panels are much more visible from the typical render distances than the modeled clefts…

Awesome; thanks again Witold Jaworski!

Hiya man!!!

As Witold says, it’s better to paint them on the texture, that was how I did mine…I attached the node setup I hope it helps

I know that there must be other ways, but it worked on mine :smiley: … Good luck!!

BTW I found easier to break the plane into smaller areas to unwrap, I have a topUV a bottomUV an intakeUV and so on

Thanks Tommy!

You’re welcome mate

Modeled the sights and added a simple glass material, rearranged the engine rods and made them into a “V” arrangement, and tweaked the area around the engines.
Now I have another problem. The pockets in which the propellers blades would sit are really difficult to model. Loop cuts ruin the shape, booleam goes to hell, especially with subdivision surface on, and adding vertices with the cut tool is just weird. Any help would be highly appreciated as always.

@coolfield the prop spinners are normally in two parts…I know it means that you’ll end up with extra geometry at the end, but I reckon it’s the way to go

http://www.ct-parts.de/images/product_images/original_images/c9997798f_spinner_kaspar_propeller.jpg

The above images are just as info, not of the real Henschel spinners…It’s just an idea of the way to go.

Thanks! It worked! Those really helped. I just added some simple cuts, deleted the faces, and rearranged the vertices. Don’t know why in the renders it shows up blocked by that grey object.

I’m glad to help!

Could it be that you have hidden geometry, did you redo the whole spinner or did you duplicated it and hid the original “just in case” and it’s being rendered???

I used the same spinner, there is another spinner but it’s on a whole different layer. I looked around and did renders, seems like it’s some weird shadow effect.

Did a lot of render recently and the plane looks damn fine. Did a “dissection” of the engine. I love doing that behind the scenes crap. Plane modeling is 97.99% done. You can see a few tweaks here and there but they can be fixed anytime.

Working on the textures. Following Witold Jaworski’s airplane book, very interesting and helpful. Couldn’t have done the modeling without his help, a big thanks goes to him.

MOARRR!!

Here’s the engine dissection.

75mm gun and its pod. Gun holes where made with sphere and boolean modifier, merge the sphere side into the cylinder and then delete the faces. The guns pod is very smooth and flowing in real life, I had to use as little vertices as possible, vertices count comes at 56.

The engine dissection looks sweet!!! hmm hmm hmm.

Did you managed to find out what the problem with the “ghost” spinner thingy was??? I can’t wait to seeing it textured, it’s going to be epic

Thanks man. There was hidden geometry but that was on another layer and I deleted that, the werido shadow thing still shows up. Nothing blocking that area or anything.

Dang it. There was a second hidden object! On the first layer I was working on right on top of my engine spinner. Those weren’t shadows.

I also did some flying renders.

LOL man, GREAT NEWS!!! the first render of the plane flying looks to me like it’s doing a very low fly-by ;), looks sweet…bring out the “bubbly” to celebrate that you got rid of the offending object

Thank you! I’m going open that up when I’ve completed the plane, texture wise.

Say your prayers enemy tank!