Hiding vertices from Automatic Weights process?

I am trying to bind a Rigify Pitchipoy rig to my human mesh. I want to use Automatic Weights to bind, but keep getting the “Bone Heat Weighting: failed to find solution for one or more bones” error. I have already researched this and have also found the precise area of my mesh that is causing the problem.

It is a very dense area with many veritices. If I delete this area from the mesh, the Automatic Weight works perfectly.

My question is, can I somehow omit/hide/mask this particular area of vertices from the automatic weight process? I want it to believe this area don’t exist when it runs, as if I had deleted it. And then I can manually paint that area afterwards.
I am using the latest version of Blender. Would appreciate any help a lot! :slight_smile:

I won’t say it’s impossible, as I haven’t tried it. So I’ll let someone else tackle that. But why would you want to take that route anyway? Wouldn’t it be better to find out why it’s happening? What kind of things have you tried so far?

Providing a blend file would go a long way to finding a good solution. :slight_smile:

The area is so dense that it’s impossible for me to try and unravel it manually. I’m sure it happens because there is so many vertices so close and probably lots of overlapping, so the weight paint script have trouble adding weights there. Anyway, I have found a workaround. I don’t know if there is a smarter way, but I’ll post it for anyone else with a similar issue.

• I selected all the vertices that made up the problematic area, pressed P and separated by “Selection”.
  • I then select my mesh (which is now separated from the problematic vertices), go to Weight Paint mode and then do Automatic Weights binding.
  • After weighting process is complete, I select the seperated mesh, then shift-select my main mesh and do Ctrl+J to join them again.
  • Then I go back to weight paint mode and click the bone nearest to this area and manually paint it so it follows the rig.
  • Finally, I manually merge (Alt+M) EACH INDIVIDUAL vertex at the points where they were cut/separated.

This solved the problem, and it even kept the shape keys I had in that area from being destroyed, since no vertices was added or removed by doing this.