High poly to low poly process

Hey guys! I’m pretty new to blender and have been experimenting with various projects. Currently, I’m working on a set of worn/rotten wood planks. My planks are hard surface and have not been sculpted in any way, though I’m seeing that my tri count is roughly 1600 tris, which is a bit high in my opinion, as I’m working on optimizing for video game assets. So my question is what is the best method for getting a low poly version of my planks? I’ve watched several tutorials on the subject, but most typically deal with highly sculpted objects, which I haven’t really gotten into learning just yet. Thanks for any help in advance!

Also, here’s a picture of what I’m working on:

Select the mesh, go into edit mode, go Mesh>Clean Up>Limited Dissolve and adjust the Max Angle setting until you get a satisfactory result. It’s not a perfect method, but it might work really well for your model.

it looks like you got too many edge loops along the length of your planks
so try to remove these

happy bl

You could try watching Blender Guru’s Anvil tutorial. In it he shows the whole process of modeling a high poly anvil and sculpting then using the high poly model to bake to the low poly version. Here is the link to the series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi87Dap_WOc&list=PLjEaoINr3zgHJVJF3T3CFUAZ6z11jKg6a

you can look at as many tutorials as you need, but you honestly just have to stop and think about the shape for a moment. Look at the sides of the plank, with the abundance of squares. you could easily make that just one long square, and subdivide and deform it to fit the cracks.
You only need to add as many edge loops as you need to deform something, if it’s easier for you, you should sculpt in those micro details, and bake them into a normal map. Try to keep your low poly meshes as low as possible, try to use bevels and utilize smooth shading. You’d be surprised how low poly some game assets actually are, and you wouldn’t even know!

Here is a quick muck up, this plank is only 68 tris. But as long as the major keypoints are there (the highs and lows of the cracked wood) and they are able to communicate a SILHOUETTE that’s accurate to the viewer, you can really make it look good with normal maps and textures.