HMS Pegasus - full ship building in progress

Good for you,
this is the most detailed 3D model I’ve ever seen.
It is a real modeler’s work of “arsenal” in French.
Just a small remark, the ropes mapping is not twisted enough on the shrouds.

Congratulations again!

Bernard Huc

1 Like

Your images give me a much better idea of the actual structural design of these old ships than do most/all of the blueprints I’ve come across. Seeing the way that the first piece that forms the hull and from which everything else is built onto is helpful to getting started, as are the many other images you’ve presented. When I tried modeling a galleon ship several years ago, I had to use the blueprints for one of those wooden modeling kits you can buy in a hobby shop, which was okay but still not as good as this. When I try again, I’ll definitely be using these images as references.

I really appreciate the work you put into this and can’t help but look at it over and over again. You’ve preserved a piece of history in CGI form and this is very historically valuable in that sense. Some of the things you’ve detailed can’t be enjoyed even on an actual wooden model because they’re hidden away in the final product and too small to see the detail, but with CGI they can be. I hope that your work will be preserved as well, so that future generations can enjoy it as much as I do. You are definitely my top-ranked favorite modeler!

2 Likes

I work a lot with wood items, do you have links to the wood texture and grunge texture? I’d like to copy your material setup

Thanks

This model give a new level to word insanity :smiley:
Seriously… can’t remember ship model so detailed… mean you make entire internal structure. This take years but results are stunning. Hope to see this beauty finished in full glory … soon.

for wood I’ve used a procedural wood generator found on Gumroad. I’ve bought a few, and there are free ones as well, so I don’t have to fish for wood textures every time I need one.
grunge texture was exported from Substance Painter, so if you have access to it you can generate tons of them.
cheers!

thank you, Alek. just recently I’ve transferred the ship to UE5 and have played with awesome Lumen lighting in it. will post a few screenshots, maybe a video as well soon. no further progress on sail making yet, sadly. :frowning:

2 Likes

UE5 is good idea. I see many incredible works…

I am new to Blender, but I love model ships and planes. This is unbelievable, really amazing work. Happy to see this post and follow the progress.

Greetings!
First of all, awesome ship modelling!
I have a small question, from the wireframe it looks like you have modelled the nails on the planks, is that true or you added them with the texture?

those are all modeled treenails. no way to put them in a correct spot via texture only

How many faces do they have? Surely this will run up the total facecount to the Moon :slight_smile:

The reason I’m asking as I’m currently in the process of modelling Pandora… which is pretty similar ship. And your work serves as an inspiration.

1 Like

nice one, mate. Pandora is on my to-do list as well.

overall polycount currently is somewhat north of 16 mil. what is few treenails more :rofl:

1 Like

I’m guessing most of that is made up by the ropes :slight_smile:

I’d need to look later today, but I don’t think so. a few milion, sure, but not that much in the end. there’s a lot more wood than rope. funny thing is, if I started today from the beginning the ship would’ve had twice as much polygons, probably. I’ve put the beast inside Unreal Engine 5, and it just flies. 10 copies bunched together. no lag, no stutter…

hi people! long time no write. sadly, the ship’s sails are still not done. I’ve tied up main and fore courses and that’s that at the moment:

just don’t have much time (nor motivation) to tackle several more miles of digital ropes. hate their guts :rofl:

anyway, I’ve posted the ship for sale at Artstation marketplace in its current state without sails, if anyone’s interested:
https://www.artstation.com/a/31055279

I might bring myself to finish it sometimes in the future, but for now it’s available like that.

cheers!
Denis

7 Likes