HMS Victory WIP - Now with HD flythrough tour, rendered turntable, AND tutorial!

how may verticies

size of file

render time

to do the back of the shipdid you sue retopo ti warp the motifs ?

Thanks

@ Rickyblender: It’s getting pretty big now… approx 2M verts, blendfile is 133Mb, renders vary on what’s visible obciously, unfortunately indigo doesnt seem to be able to handle the whole scene anymore, so I’m sticking with BI for now, renders take around 1/2 an hour.

Newest one with a little postpro:
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/3264/vic29fc8.jpg

Wow! Now that is looking great! Photo real much? Great modeling and texturing man. You should sell this thing! And only half hour for all this? Wow, nice!

Sorry, forgot to answer that. The motifs on the back are first made on a flat plane as it were, then deformed to fit the surface of the ship with lattices and proportional editing as required. The trouble with retopo is that it would lose all the height data (relative to the surface). Actually something I’d really like to see in blender is a modifier or tool to deform an object to fit the surface of another, I worked out you could do it with a lattice only one point thick, if you could only retopo lattice control points.

P.S. Thanks Dudebot!

That looks really good, nicely detailed. Brings back memories of ScottishPig, but that was long ago. keep up the good work!

Noticing some clipping issues as I post this one, still lot’s of stuff to fix! Currently adding some texture detail to the ropes.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3523/vic30da4.jpg

Every time I post a render I notice so many new mistakes!

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/1724/vic24ma3.jpg
By bens87 at 2009-01-06

the only comments i can say is about the texture of rope
it’s the only thing that looks not like rope but like continous cable texture wise

a good cable texture would be even better!

great work

Salutations

Could this be any more awesome? Probably but this is still really sweet. Maybe when you are done you could set up a bge executable that lets you walk through the entire ship. That would be sweet too. Keep up the great work.

@ HJ05: A BGE executable would need a pretty hefty PC is all I’ll say. But I’ll definitely try and render a flythrough at some point, maybe with my Green Button free credits.:smiley:

Another render (I’ve got a pretty nifty setup at the moment using a virtual KVM switch to another PC that I do renders on, whilst I work on the model with my laptop, it’s sweeeet :yes:!):
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/6201/vic31yr8.jpg
By bens87 at 2009-01-06

…sorry its a bit overexposed, the current node setup seems to be a bit unpredictable, I’ll take a look at it…

@ RickyBlender: The rope does look a bit cable-ey. Heres a closeup shot of it from when I was doing tests with it, note that this has displacement maps and such - not feasable for the full scene really.
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/766/ropetesthua9.jpg

Well, I’m not really familiar with old ships and such, but what holds the “gunhole covers” upright? Sorry, can’t invent a better name for theese with my english…

ropes texture!

when i lookded at the pic shown you cannot see any texture at all on ropes?

don’t know may be you should checkout why this is happening
may be you need to increase the resolution or sampling i guess
but it should show up i the pic

or try one closed up shot then it may show well with the texture

now one detail for the rope did you use curves to do it so that you can easily displace
or change the shape of the ropes whererer you need to ?

another thing is did you use procedurals textures or only UV mapping?

Salutations

Anyway, there are some other issues I’m having, and I thought I’d post them up and see if anyone knows the answers:

1. Octree resolution: Is there any consensus on what works well for what scene, “complexity” as mentioned in the tooltip is prety subjective and the documentation out there is not massively helpful. I seem to be getting the fastest results with 512 now, with the number of parts whacked up to compensate for the extra memory use, but I’d like to know for future reference if there’s any solid rules on the matter.
  2. Indigo now gives me this message when I try to render with it - I think I just have too complex a scene.
    http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2586/errorvn2.jpg
    Does anyone have any experience of this? Is there a workaround?

3.I’m still in the process of giving all the ropes UV coords - it’s a pain in the ass. Does anyone know how to automatically assign UV coords to curve/path objects that I can then convert to a mesh? I’d seriously love that. Standard UV unwrap gives really badly stretched unwraps when unwrapping presumably due to the quads on the long straits being much longer than those on the corners.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who has advice on any of that stuff.

@ Rickyblender: See the above WRT the rope textures. The textures are 100% UV mapped, and 99% are tileable so as to avoid having to do a new texture for each and every object, it’s working pretty well. Paint colours are easy this way too, as the textures are saved as GIMP xcf files with layers for the wood base, then each colour of paint as a layer I can turn on or off alon with an aplha mash to show some wear and tear, then overlays for dirt and grime over that.

i never used indigo so sorry cannot help with this one

but for the ropes at the zoom factor you are at i’m guessing that we should see some
textures for the rope but this may be function of the parameters for rendering too

now you may have to look more in indigo on how to do the high def rendering
like what we have in blender renderer

but sorry i cannot help you for indigo i never work with this renderer
how would you qualify indigo is it a good renderer
is it easy to work with ?

Thanks

Indigo has some great advantages but some pretty big drawbacks as well. The upside is that it basically gives photorealistic results without you having to do very much work WRT shaders and lighting - just make sure everything has the right physical properties and off you go. The downside is that it’s slooooooow, and everything has to be a standard mesh with UV coords for textures (no procedurals unless you bake them). It was working pretty well, but it seems it can’t really handle huge scenes like mine…:frowning:

but have you tried to do it with blender renderer

its’ not that bad but there is a lot of things to set up
but it’s relatively fast

but with all the object you have there it’s a lot
even for blender so it will be slow to render
in any renderer i guess

but you have a big model with lot’s of details

happy blendering

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you…
God bless you…

…Its the first time the wife’s been speechless since Christmas…:evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

…Beautiful renders

Well, thank you for such high praise! It’s comments like that that keep a chap working on a project this unwieldy.

You could try UV mapping one segment of rope, and then using an array modifier that’s set to duplicate the mesh until it’s as long as (a curve of your choice) here, and then use a curve modifier with (the same curve) to deform it. If you used some scaled up, higher resolution noise textures over top of the original image texture, you could theoretically get quite a lot of unique, textured rope.