"Hon" - Portrait of young woman.

models in blender; details and skin textures in zbrush; rendering in blender internal; postpro in gimp.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1571/honfinalnei3.th.jpg

WOW!! amazingly great!

very nicely done

Impressive to be sure.

A couple crits:
the lighting is a bit odd, makes her look almost corpselike
the texture on the lips looks to be the same as the rest of the skin
not sure if the SSS is completely right here

other than that, good work. Post it to CGTALK!

I agree with Plantperson’s crits, but it’s still fantastic
5 stars

Really great image. Only a pity that it wasn’t done entirely in Blender. Is there a limitation on Blender’s part in achieving an image like this, or would it have been possible to use only Blender, and perhaps you chose ZBrush simply as a workflow preference?

Very good indeed, and I like the post pro.
Did you use curve guides for the hair?:eek:

Uber nice!
Is the hair post? Or was it done in zbrush.
And what’s in/above her ear? Is it an ear bud? Because if it were an ear bud, it would explain her pose.
But, like I said, it’s uber nice.

Really great image. Only a pity that it wasn’t done entirely in Blender. Is there a limitation on Blender’s part in achieving an image like this, or would it have been possible to use only Blender, and perhaps you chose ZBrush simply as a workflow preference?

I think that man can achieve this kind of effect in blender easyly. I own Zbrush, I love it and I’m using it. For me it’s more natural to make details and paint colors directly on model than painting it in 2D. But sculpt in blender is good enough to create this kind of model. Then good unwrapping, painting in gimp or photoshop and you have the same effect.

Did you use curve guides for the hair?:eek:

Is the hair post? Or was it done in zbrush.

Hair were made with curve guides, but I must admit tham some strands were painted in postpro. It’s possible to achieve this kind of effect with curve guides - you just need to be patient;) because I have slow pc, and meshes were very dense (multies error), and manipulating curves in 3D view was painfull. I decided to paint details of hair (in 5 minutes) instead of fighting with curves for 5 hours.

And what’s in/above her ear?

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/9885/honkoltu9.jpg

Very nice image! I don’t mind the lightning, it gives a nice mood to the image. Great job!

nice. Well done. Gallery Quality… hint hint hint… BgDM… where are you…

Wonderful! Five stars from me.

/ Mats

very nice, could you post some wires ?

could you post some wires ?

no, I can’t. Multires in my .blend file crashed (WHY?) and I had to apply multires on highest level to all models. So mesh is very dense. And even without that, topology was weak and ugly.

But I can show you how it looks in 3d view.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9405/honmodelyj1.jpg

how many lights did you use ? cool ;]

Fantastic! what is it with all you polish guys being art genius’!!! =P

I am a fan of the lighting!

Maybe its me but I notice slight change in lip colour and to me it looks natural amount of change as well considering the lighting, so I like it as is =)

I havnt used the SSS much yet, looks like the SSS effect is done with post pro layers?

Also I think its great to use post pro to your advantage for details, especially in a still peice!! I hope that all blender artists can realize it is not a fault if you use z-brush or post pro for finishing peices, the art is the important fact.

As budcai has stated these details could be done in or through blender also, but there are many paths depending on the style in which you work and how the method determins the final peice.

Great work, 4 stars from me!

how many lights did you use ?
few. here’s 3d view.
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/8420/lightskh9.jpg
most of them have very soft buff shadow. One (the strongest) has sharp shadow, to show the details.
plus additional pass of AO, mixed with rest in gimp.

Maybe its me but I notice slight change in lip colour

there is big change in lip colour in diffuse map, but lighting and sss made it almost unnocitable. I left it as it is, because I didn’t want to exaggerate with red colour and made the lips look artificial.

looks like the SSS effect is done with post pro layers?

sss is made with material nodes. three nodes (trying to simulate skin layers. almost impossible) of sss + specular and some colour additions. effect is quite good, but I’m not satisfied with it in the end. anyway, I like it after postpro.
here you have it without postpro: http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/3939/honpbezszumdc1.jpg

hope that all blender artists can realize it is not a fault if you use z-brush or post pro for finishing peices

yes. I knew that comments like: " pitty that you used zbrush, not only blender" will appear. maybe if I use gimp to paint textures it’s also weak and cheating? maybe I should paint it in blender’s image editor? look on professionals. everyone should have his individual workflow wich should depend on preferences, habits and predispositions.
final effect is most important. It’s all about art.

And offcourse - thank you all for kind words. I’m very satisfied with the fact that you all like this image.

great job! 5 stars from me!

I didn’t mean that I thought there was something wrong with using ZBrush. I just wondered, because I thought it was an amazing image that it would be a pity if there was something that would prevent Blender from achieving the same effect. So I asked if it was more a workflow decision and preference to use ZBrush. Then you said it was possible to do it entirely in Blender if you wanted to, so you answered my question. :slight_smile: