Hook curve on animated mesh / Face corners

Hey,
I have a bunch of curves that I need to hook with a triangulated mesh (animated on Marvelous Designer).
The curves are created based on the first key frame.
In order to ‘hook’ the curves to the animation, I duplicated the mesh (Blue) and freezed it on the first keyframe (Pink).

Then I used ‘Geometry Proximity’ node to project the curve on the freezed mesh + ‘nearest surface’ and used the indexes of nearest srf, to hook the curve to the animated mesh.
Obviously, the problem with that workflow is the curve is no more projected on the animated mesh, but uses the closest face (or vertex). Therefore I end up with a jagged curve.

Question : Do you know a way of using the attributes of Geo Proximty node, in order to transfer it to the animated mesh ? ( maybe Surface UV sampler ? maybe hooking to 3 closest Face corners indexes ?)

Link to the blender file : https://we.tl/t-hBPWUbo4os

Additional question : So far, I get jagged curves hooked to the animated mesh. I then use GN curve to mesh + realize instances to bake it. Even if I get keyframes, why can’t I seem to get the curves animated (I imagine each vertex having keyframed position transformations).
The idea is once I get the curves animated I want to apply a modifier to create UV’s and texture it.

Thank you !!

Ok. But Why?
Do you want that mesh (dress or whatever it is) to have a moving pattern on it?
It sort of looks like you should be using some else. Perhaps Dynamic Paint (Look up what this is). Or adding a Texture node in the material setup that adds a different color / effect.
I am wondering if perhaps following your idea is not the best way - but I am unsure what your end result is that you are after.
Do you have an example you can share ?
Or can you explain more what

…this means. Will it be moving independently, or by animated, do you mean following the mesh object.

I followed all of the earlier post.

Hey thank you for your answer.

Actually, what I’m trying to achieve is quiet regular yet out of reach for me now : I’m not trying to create any special effect, the pattern is not moving. It is a bunch of still curves I created on another software. Those curves are created by projecting a pattern on the mesh at initial keyframe.
I imported the curves as obj. in Blender.
What I need now, is to hook the curves to the still cloth mesh, so that their control points will “move” according to the animation of this cloth mesh. Kind of make it stick to it.

Check this out if you have time and possibility, It’s a simplified example.

Also, I found a very interesting video that goes the direction I imagine will work best : using nearest face for each control point of the curve, and hook it to the nearest face of the same topology animated mesh using indexes and vector multiplication. But still having issues.

I want to create a flat regular mesh based on the curve that move following the animated cloth mesh the closest as possible.

I maybe off the mark here, but if you can just convert the curve to a mesh, then you should be able to apply a Surface Deform modifier to make it follow the animated cloth mesh.
This is something that I cover in my animating cloth video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZEyRCq1FvU
The main difference would be to add a little thickness to the curve mesh, so that it is always above the cloth and just don’t hide the simulate cloth, so that both are visible in viewport/render.

This setup might help

3 Likes

Thank you so much. I don’t totally understand what when where but this perfectly sets up !! :heartpulse:

1 Like