Horde 3D

http://www.nextgen-engine.net/home.html

Where did this thing come from? Looks promising, opensource and looks more complete than Ogre. Intergration? IT says its accessible by almost all forms of coding

That is neat.

Looks way cool!

Nicolas, who founded this project studies at the University of Augsburg, Germany, and we worked together on some projects for the ‘Chair for Multimedia Concepts and its Applications’.

I have nearly convinced him, to use Blender himself :wink:
For some projects involving his engine he imported some of my Blender-Models, so there is already the possibility via collada, unfortunately without animation-support since the Blender-Collada-Exporter is evolving rather slow.

I’m going to tell him, to visit our forum, so if you have any questions, post them here, so he can have a look at it.

http://www.0r10n.com

Finished Project: King in town

It doesn’t seems so convincing to me, actually, for sure you shouldn’t compare it to Ogre.

Horde it’s not multiplatform (requires openGL 2 compatible cards but is only for windows),
doesn’t have so many examples, physical libraries wrappers or exporters for 3D modelers.
Also the community seems quite little (forum is almost empty, for now).

Although it would be a good choiche for little demos and has some crowd control
feature, I don’t think that it can be compared to Ogre now, maybe with other, less
famous, engines.

We’ll see in the future…

Does this support Blender Rendering?

Where did you see that it was windows only?

Mattepiu I’m going to have to disagree, As Ogre’s community seldom updates the main SDK with any major improvements. I believe it is time to look on, Ogre’s lifespan had its chance and still Blender is not integrated. Remember when Blender was newly opensource? the feeling of hope that it could be the best? well we can do that with this thing to. Unless Ogre has a Renaissance I see little hope for it.

Archive contains only windows binaries and sources have not configure or makefile or other
build scripts but only vcproj files. (other than this I had some errors trying to unpack the readme.txt
in the source folder both times I donloaded, but maybe it’s just a mine issue)
There are not other packages linked in the homepage. That means windows only to me…

I don’t know what’s your problem with Ogre, but in the first post you said “Horde is more
complete than Ogre”. Sorry, but that’s is an error or a lie.
Also Ogre has not blender integrated but at least has a real mesh importer for blender,
so please don’t be silly Horde maybe will be what you say in 3-4 years, now is just an
immature little project if compared to Ogre.
And no, you can’t eat “the feeling of hope”,you can just notice yourself the little differences between
Ogre screenshots link (more than 50 sub-albums with 4-8 shoots each at minimum) and
the 4 Horde screenshots link (of which one is not really of horde…).
Also please note all the terrain manager and paged geometry (trees!!!) efforts of ogre, I haven’t noticed anything similar in Horde.

Said that, Horde has a not-bad-at-all potential, see it next year if development will not stops
(as happen to many “feeling of hope” projects, sadly).

Horde3D CAN be compiled using gcc (MINGw), thus freeing it from the “windows only” restriction…

It has a very clean API, few dependancies other then OGL, and would lend itself well to visualization or gaming once the appropriate libraries are integrated. It does have an impressive list of features…

One outstanding feature is it’s Collada importer, perhaps of immediate interest to Blender users exporting Collada files?..

It’s certainly not an “Ogre class” engine, BUT, on the other hand, it doesn’t have the Ogre learning curve either… YMMV.

Cheers!

BUT, on the other hand, it doesn’t have the Ogre learning curve either… YMMV.

And there you go. Horde is more of a blank canvas, and allows for and easier time with compatibility. No one will say programing is easy, but an engine that boasts compatability with almost all forms of code derserves praise. Yes Ogre is good, but its older and more mature. “complete” was probably the wrong term to use, as far as being user friendly, and boasting the features that it boasts (yes many arent in the gallery, but then again Ogre’s gallery doesn’t really show anything that impressive) With a little work, and some time, Horde, I feel shows a lot more promise. And as far as Blender goes, and easier partner would be Horde as no one has gotten intergration with Ogre yet, and it been how long now? c’mon, out the old in with the new. This looks promising, and yes I do understand that this thing is meant for Next gen stuff, meaning that older comps would have a problem, however, isn’t that where this stuff is all heading anyway? games rarely sell now a days with out the glitz and glamor of graphics (a sad but true statement, and yes people will quote the rare games that do make it without that, but they are few and far between) We need something that can complement Blender, Horde can do this, especially if it can handle the code and is easier to use. Being easy to use is a huge thing, Ogre has a big learning curve. Oh and gallery means nothing, yes its a selling point, but c’mon, its what you do with it that counts. Blender’s gallery hasn’t been updated in how long now? So please, spare me the pic count. Having more pictures of the same thing doesn’t mean you do it better…it just means you have more people doing the same thing. Horde can be cracked wide open now, not in a year or two, and would companion blender better as theres less to go through. Minimal code, Horde boasts it right on the home page. Its ripe for the picking, none of the line that are not needed and added by the public, in terms, tainted the finished project. I think if Blender showed this little engine what it could do, Ogre would be obsolete in a few months, Ogre does update but it does so at a slow pace.

I still don’t really understand, can you clarify? Is this tested? Are you saying that it
potentially could be compiled with gcc (as most of ansi code, that it’s very rarely ported,
sadly) or that someone:
-wrote a build script
-tested that there aren’t incompatibility
-checked that there are not bugs for the different compiler used.

If so, please, provide a link to the build script and the testing results/bugreports
(packagers forgotted to insert it in the zip).

@Framedworld: If, as you said, Horde updates much faster than Ogre (last pic in gallery 18/07/2007,
latest version of ogre 08/07/2007, previous one 10/06/2007), in some months it will have a chanche to
claim to be as much or more “complete”.
For now that claim and the association of the world “obsolete” with Ogre are just propaganda, no more.

Hello everybody,

I am Nicolas Schulz, the responsible developer of Horde3D. My former colleague 0r10n has notifyied me of this thread.

First off, I’m glad to see that there is some serious interest in Horde. I think I can clarify the cross plattform issue. The current official version was only tested on Win32/Win64 by myself. But the code is generally written in a very portable way. Another university recently ported the project successfully to Linux and they only had to change a few things. I have already reviewed the changes and will integrate them to the next official release. So it should be very straightforward to compile Horde on other platforms in the near future (actually already now for someone with a bit of experience).

What I want to achieve with Horde is creating an engine that can compete with commercial engines featurewise (everything based on shaders, configurable rendering pipeline for different rendering techniques + posprocessing effects, advanced character animation and so on) but reduces the code complexity by finding a clever software design. Currently the engine with all its features has less than 10.000 lines of rather clean code which makes it easy to understand and customize. Furthermore it has a C-style external interface making it a piece of cake to access from a scripting language like python, as was already shown with a recent Euphoria port.

Cheers!

looks like very unusually

marciano,
Please see if you can integrate your fine engine into blender :slight_smile: We already have an internal game engine, but we defiantly have room for more advanced engines :slight_smile:

Framedworld,
I could not agree more with your opinions on OGRE, it is dying out fast, and is the most over rated engine I have ever seen.(not to mention the rudest developers of any project)

There is an unofficial linux port that uses SDL that is downloadable from their forums http://http://www.nextgen-engine.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=162. I got it to compile on my system relatively quick and I use a very non standard installation. Give it a shot if you are interested. The engine is clean and easy to use compared to some of the other ones out there.

What I want to achieve with Horde is creating an engine that can compete with commercial engines featurewise (everything based on shaders, configurable rendering pipeline for different rendering techniques + posprocessing effects, advanced character animation and so on) but reduces the code complexity by finding a clever software design. Furthermore it has a C-style external interface making it a piece of cake to access from a scripting language like python, as was already shown with a recent Euphoria port.
If someone can access Horde3d from Euphoria http://www.rapideuphoria.com/ it should be child’s play to write a Python wrapper.

This is an engine I want to use… OpenGL-based, shaders and Python… oh yeah! :slight_smile:

@Mattepiu, hopefully you read Marciano’s post concerning the port…