Hotel pool area concept

Concept design and rendering
Done with 2.8 and LuxCore 2.3(early wip build)

more pictures https://www.behance.net/gallery/86327907/Hotel-Pool-Area

15 Likes

The waterline though. Bring on adaptive tesselation / microdisplacement.

1 Like

hopefuly final 2.3 will have some of that too

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot !

Can’t believe these renders have not more comments, these are just stunning! Love the realism and the attention to details. :+1:

How is the preprocessing time in luxcore compared to cycles? I’m working on a big scene and cycles takes 1m45 before even starting to render, this makes it very unproductive in archviz scenarios.
Is there a material id pass in luxcore? One pass with different colors for each material? This is what’s also really missing in cycles.

1 Like

Since Cycles scene conversion is done completely in C++ and LuxCore’s conversion is a mix of Python and C++, Cycles will be faster in almost all cases.

Yes, there is, both a pass with the “true ID” without anti-aliasing, and an anti-aliased version.
But Cycles also has a material ID pass, see https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/render/layers/passes.html, section “Material Index”.

1 Like

I know cycles has material id passes you can extract as mattes, but not one pass with different colors for all the different materials [Is there 'Surface ID' render output in Blender?]

Too bad luxcore is slower in pre-processing time then cycles. I don’t understand why in other softwares and renderers they start almost instantly and in blender it takes forever to pre-process.

Does luxcore have persistent data for rendering an animation where only the camera moves? I think I read somewhere there is some kind of cache but only for the lighting and not for the scene itself? Because if it takes longer to pre-process then cycles but it’s done only once I can live with that :+1:

I may have misunderstood you. I was talking only about the scene conversion part. The preprocessing steps after this (BVH building etc.) might be faster in Lux, but I have not tested this, so you will have to check in your scenes if that’s the case.

We have this kind of persistence for our caches (indirect light cache, caustic cache, direct light cache and environment light cache), but currently not for the scene conversion process.
There exists a feature request about it, but it’s a complicated thing to implement: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/BlendLuxCore/issues/59

When I say pre-processing I just meant the time between pressing F12 and before the rendering starts. Don’t know if it’s converting or pre-processing but it takes forever on big scenes. I’ll test luxcore for sure because the results are stunning.

I don’t understand why the scene conversion needs to happen on every frame. Just load the scene once like for viewport render and stop refreshing the scene/model and just move the cameras.

I know it must be more difficult then that but still this small feature would change a lot for archviz animation.

Sorry for high jacking this thread, it was not my intention, the work is stunning and I’m definitely going to try luxcore on my next project :ok_hand:

1 Like

Hacking together something that works in a few scenes is not hard, but implementing it so it catches each and every update reliably and in every possible scene is a lot harder to do. But since the payoff would be big, I hope I can get it done some day.

2 Likes