Hotkeys: Where are they and what are their purpose

I fully understand the need to move every menu item to a new secret undisclosed location. I get that. It’s cool. Im old. It’s fine.
Thats why Ive spent years memorizing HOTKEYS. I can press a specific key combination to execute the desired function without packing a lunch and heading into the wildy of Blender’s menus.
But what Im having difficulty grasping is this:
Why do the hotkeys now just BRING UP MORE MENUS?
What is the definition of a hotkey? What is its purpose other than to sidestep the menus? Are you angry at us for our years of experience? Are you a UX/UI college graduate determined to force us to look at your button placement? Are you mad at me personally?
Thoughts.

2 Likes

It’s tough getting old, isn’t it?

Keep that neuroplasticity up by learning new things. It sucks, I get it.

But use the ability to learn, or lose the ability to learn.

1 Like

Those :point_up_2:t3: are the ones you add to the Quick Favorites Menu. Blender is uber modal, so each window and modes like Object and Edit get their own individual Quick Favorites menu. I have about 30 hot keys on the Q. Its a no brainer - even for someone like me with 40+ years on computers and a brain that need reformatting.

Do you use the 1 - 9 in menus for the first nine items? I set up my Q-Favs with the most common used things on 1,2,3,4,5. Q1, Q2… Easy, minimal movement.
If only they would make a Q-Fav editor. :thinking:

What I find shocking is going back to typing again. In Geometry Nodes mainly. I thought we were well past that primitive input 20 odd years back when we still polished our ball to be able to access menus.
But, I did discover A,u,r,a is a handy GeoNode hot-combo recently. So I almost can accept typing again.

1 Like

When ? Where ? Maybe in the new blender 4.X version ??

By the way: the docu use very sparse the term hotkey… so you are speaking of the (new ??) shortcut keys (layout in 4.x ?) ?? Or the Quick menu as @Matakani suggested ?

Thats a long time.

Maybe the operator associated is an open menu command, you could change that.

A key that starts a particular computer program or causes a series of actions to be performed automatically, sometimes when used in combination with another key

To travel less distance with the mouse.

:thinking: …nah. I dont even know you.

1 Like

That is just pure arithmetic.
Amount of alphabet letters or punctuation signs is not growing over the years.
Amount of Blender settings have been tripled or quadrupled.

So, there are same amount of keys for a lot more features.
So, a way to free some keys for new features, is to replace several old keys about similar stuff into one about a menu containing those items.

But hotkeys are customizable ; you can restore your old keymap configuration in last Blender release, if you want.
A preset to have 2.7x keymap is bundled with official release.

1 Like

a few year back we calculated the number of short cut - short keys for blender
and there was over 3000

so cannot learn all of them
only some of the main ones

so get use to it or loose it LOL

happy bl

Oh it is!? Can you tell me how to apply it please? Or I can just look it up anyways. Thanks!

here are the main ones

Ctrl-A apply location
Shift-S for cursor location

W key

E Key
F key

see wiki here

Common Shortcuts — Blender Manual

happy bl

'Nother Old Skooler here,

plus one for q and quick menus and and extra button on my mouse, stick all your fav commands and forget hotkeys.

I also use search F3 for me on a mouse button, which can be quite helpful.