Houdini to Blender Geometry Nodes Workflow

Hey!

During the past few months I’ve been testing a Houdini to Blender exporter that allows to get into the Geometry Nodes spreadsheet attributes (integrer, float, vector and quaternion).

I tested this workflow in a project. Basically to see how efficient would be and if it would actually make sense to use it (there are other ways to import attributes from Houdini to Blender, like the Entagma one). Here is a breakdown of the project, in the video I also explain a bit the insides of how the exporter works:

If you don’t want ti read further, this YT video gives a quick introduction about it:

And here you can download it for FREE (for exporting data from Houdini you need a Houdini License, but you can always check how it works!).

Now, a bit more of extra info:

As a rough explanation, the idea behind it is to send attribute data as RGB values in an exr image. Each pixel is readed by blender (with Geometry Nodes) as an attribute value for a particular point (for integer and float attributes I can actually send 3 points per pixel, as I can use each of the channels separately).

I got the idea for this workflow from the Labs Vertex Animation textures for Unreal Engine.

During my tests, I actually found that sending the position data of a point cloud in this way would be read in Blender 2 times faster than a regular Alembic file (and use 2 times less memory).

Please let me know if you like it, if something can be improved… love feedback :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Artichoke

16 Likes

This is a really cool idea — great work!
I’d love to try it out when I get a nice chunk of spare time and a good excuse, bookmarked! :+1:

1 Like

Agree! Very cool idea! :slight_smile:
Now I have to find the time to play around with this… :wink:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like