House in the forest

Designed and rendered a house that I felt like I would love to be in this weekend.

I wanted to get a good overview on using Scatter. It’s pretty intuitive, but with using so many particles, I have no idea what’s going on until i do test renders. I am still not 100% happy with the grass, but felt it’s more important to wrap the project up than to continue to fiddle.

My biggest challenge was getting this to render on 8gb GPU ram. For the second render, i did two passes - one without the interior stuff, and a small border area only with the interiors and scatter particles turned off. With assets and particles, it takes nearly 5 or 6 minutes into the render pre-compute until it sorts out that there wouldn’t be enough ram.

Rendered with Cycles, 250 samples or RTX 2080 Super + GTX 1070 (pretty useless these days) with Optix denoising, about 10 min each.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

18 Likes

Well you are getting good use out of your graphics card. Mine has too little memory, so after texturing, I’m forced to render everything from the CPU!

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Thanks Bart!

Nice taste in architecture. Well done.

I like this weather :slight_smile:
Did you placed rocks by hand or using some addon? Can you share some viewport screens?
Please turn of the car light because your battery will not let you go home after weekend :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Hehe, good one!

I placed the rocks with a particle system. River is a water plane that intersects with the ground plane. I used a Vertex Weight Proximity modifier to get the edge as a vertex group to distribute the rocks.

The idea is to cover the water edge with things as it rarely looks good (unless the dry surface is scuplted or displaced with too many polys). Between grass particles and rocks, it should do the tirck.

2 Likes

Thank you for the tip:) it is important for me because after mainly interior jobs I wanna try deal with exterior. But beginning is quite hard😁

Cool! It’s a different beast compared to interiors where in my experience, materials always need tweaking and mixing so as to not look tiled. But like always, real-world references help trumendously.