How about BGE for the upcoming Ouya Android Console.

Even the ouya dev team recommends hooking up a xbox 360 wired controller. If it’s just a matter of adding a KX_INPUT attachement for Android, it doesn’t have to be that hard.

Games like Dead Trigger are Tegra 3 specific and also have a very high demand. Personally I am learning BGE for this reason, to meet the millions of people that want something different. If I can program for the Asus TF700T then I should be able to develop/script/code for the OUYA. (Both run Android Jelly Bean) SOme simple calls to find out what the controller type is can resolve the issue.

There are 800+million android devices out there, with no breakdown of Tegra 3 or not. I know as a gamer, who started caring about gaming since my i386sx (yeah, i had a whole 8 megabytes of ram) I have NEVER been more interesting in getting rid of the BIG3 (SNE, NES, MS) and also buying into it. However, I don’t want to create games for crappy GPU’s I want to do for the leading chipset (Nvidia).

If I feel this way, I promise you there are a few other million that do too. So I guess my question, why does this wheel have to be reinvented for OUYA? bge.logic.joysticks is already part of the API/Python.

Just set calls to check for Tegra 3 and prepare your input device for either bge.logic.joysticks or prepare it for the unknown KX_INPUT_(future touch screen?) sensor. This way a developer can hit both markets.

This is the perfect time in the past 20 years for coders/scripters, texturers, modelers, etc to all compete on an indie level like never before, with a very high demand.

Right now everyone wants to know what they can do with their tablet… it’s an EXTREMELY ripe market. One that would be foolish too overlook, IMO.

Notice the last line of this link OUYA and the ASUS TF700T use the same TEGRA 3 chipset. It’s why I just bought it…though I still have no tools that really set it apart from a netbook (tegra 3 and touchscreen excluded).

Oh I am not expecting anything right away. I was just injecting some idea’s on how a developer could use the tools available now since the hope that it can be ported to either Android (and maybe therefor OUYA). Granted things take time and the technology isn’t in the hands of kickstarters until April (myself being one of them). I was just tyring to give some input. Not complaining or anything of the sort. Just sharing my opinion the this weird thing called the World Wide Web :wink:

pardon my ignorance but wouldn’t it better to aim for Android and then take the OUYA SDK to a finished Android platform?

One can download the ouya sdk here
https://devs.ouya.tv/developers/odk

I am pretty positive starting demand will be high, the question is can content keep it alive? It’s the reason Nintendo has run into problems. They only have first party content and people know it.

I reached out to the OUYA team to get their input on supporting BGE for OUYA and here is their response

Hi Scott!

Thanks for the note - and the suggestion. We’d love to support Blender, particularly as it’s open source like OUYA. The way we usually support game engine extensions, however, is by relying on the respective game engine’s community for support. As Blender is open-source, our hope is that a member of the Blender community will use OUYA’s ODK and documentation to build an extension for Blender - especially as our developers have their hands full just making OUYA the best it can be! If you learn of any good OUYA extensions being developed for Blender please let us know… We’d be happy to provide whatever support we can muster up.

Best,

• Raf
    OUYA, Inc.

I glanced through the thread and I wonder why do you want for BGE to run on OUYA so badly?

The whole idea to get to console market is to reach huge audience. It all sounds good in theory, but it’s a royal pita to release on consoles. Not only you get hammered by vendor, but you also have to pay every time you submit your game for review. Every follow up attempt is more expensive than previous attempt. Do you think OUYA will just let any game into its store? The audience is small, tiny. From business perspective it only makes sense to release on OUYA when you already have a game for Android.

The hardware OUYA will come with, will be obsolete shortly after the release. Tegra 3 is by no means a powerful platform. Look at Tegra 4 specs http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-4-processor.html and Tegra 5 is already in works (I bet OUYA 2 and OUYA 3 will be coming too :stuck_out_tongue: )

Steambox is basically upscale OUYA on x86 platform running Steam on Linux. BGE would already work on it out of the box :slight_smile:

I keep on seeing argument as “you need to get to the game right away, not waiting to connect stuff …” blah blah, something along those lines. Are you in a hurry? Is there a time bonus for launching a game? Where this comes from?! I personally have no issue waiting through downloading process on Steam or installation process from DVD before I play my games. Same goes for connecting devices to a TV.

You gotta understand that OUYA guys came from AAA industry and they still have mortgages to pay. Therefore they came up with OUYA. That’s how I see it. It’s not to help indies to break through to console market, because console market is PS3/4, XB360/720 and Wii. Many indies released their games on XBLA.

BGE needs to focus improving on PC first.

Actually that is why OUYA has such a large chance to succeed. Because there aren’t fees for submissions. There aren’t fees for updating, there aren’t fees for any of that. OUYA makes it’s cut through store purchases. It is leaving it up to the developer to update and keep their product up-to-date AND to set the price. I dont think anyone is saying “lets modify BGE to work best for OUYA” I think we are saying “how can we get the current BGE to work on OUYA”. Since OUYA is just android (one of the fastest growing technology markets, ever …tablets and phones) I think this thread is trying to see “how can we compile games on the CURRENT version” to be compatiable to OUYA.

There is a need for apps on Android OS. If you can’t see that, you’re living in the 90’s. Things change, desires change and right now demand for ANDROID applications is probably the highest demand we will see in our lifetime. You can create an Android app in an hour and make 100k in a month because people want to use their new toys.

Well OUYA is a new toy, with high demand (it’s record setting KICKSTARTER campaign should show that). How do we get .blend files to run on it…that’s all.

Another note, regardless of it’s TEGRA 3,4,5, etc etc, it’s up to the developer to make application/game X to the desired specs. It’s not the job of the game engine. So even if new hardware does come out, that doesn’t change anything on the development side. Maybe you can use more textures w/ a better fill rate or longer draw distance, but that’s completely irrelevant to getting BGE to work on OUYA. BGE on Android needs to come first That is the higher demand. Then it’s a matter of using the OUYA ODK (sdk) to help move product X to the OUYA platform.

THe OUYA life span (for console release) is projected to be 1 year and for 99 bucks (cheaper than cell phones) demand is expected to be high. If Blender could help do it’s part in building an open source community (along with OUYA) it’s a win, win for everyone. This isn’t the Big 3 we are talking about here. Nor is this Lightwave, Autodesk, Softimage, etc.

whatever you say szupek… According to your logic Crysis 3 can run on OUYA, if artists / designers will re-work the game for OUYA’s specs. Because engine is obviously designed in a vacuum and game artists are the ones who determine where game can and can not run.

$100 + $50 for OUYA with gamepad for 1 year? Money doesn’t grow on trees, you know. It’s what one can spend on decent GPU and enjoy PC games.

so your view is “just dont bother, the system is too untouchable”? That’s a great way to look at things (sarcasm). CryEngine3, doesnt support modeling inside of it. Blender does. Unity doesn’t support modeling inside of it, Blender does. What does any game engine do. It makes life easier. Creating model x or applying physics here or there so you don’t have to code it by hand. So developers don’t have to learn OPENGL verx or DIRECT X version X and create EVERYTHING by hand. It eventually all breaks down to ASM and then breakes down to binary and then machine code. So to answer your question, yes CryEngine 3 could run on OUYA. But due to clever marketing, they would have you believe that it’s only meant to run on top notch systems. It’s off topic and beside the point. OUYA is Open Source, Blender is Open Source. There is a strong desire to see both succeed. If it isn’t your cup of tee, then don’t bother reading and commenting. Let us “foolish people with foolish ideas” live in our world and see what we can do.

Personally I think our mindset is better then the on you seem to be preaching, which is “whats the point, it’s too hard. just give up and roll over”

Actually for 100 you get 1 gamepad.

'nuff said szupek, 'nuff said… I’ll leave you to your utopia.

I was originally interested in the Ouya mainly, but I think now that, as Sinan said, other game-focused Android projects are popping up which are building up some steam. Even knock-off tablets from China are getting on gaming controls (the JXD S7300 seems to be getting some pretty solid reviews right now). With more and more of a possibility that someone owns an Android device with gaming hardware attached to it (either through USB, BlueTooth, or actually built into the device), I think that an Android port of the BGE becomes more and more worth the time and effort to make.

The mobile market is saturated, but there’s nothing saying you have to sell on Google Play. You could just sell on the Internet and allow people to download the APK and install it onto their devices.

I agree with motorsep that the BGE could use work on the PC first, though. After that, a solid Android port shouldn’t be too difficult (especially given the progress that has already been made).

Wow, thats funny: I just register here, to ask for a Ouya port and the discuss is already here :wink: Vote for it :stuck_out_tongue: