How are polygons copied & pasted?

Not sure what I’m missing:
I have two Mesh Objects, A and B. Now I want to copy a couple of polygons from A to B. What I think I should do would be:

1. Select the polygons on A
  2. Press CMD+C or go to Edit>Copy
  3. Switch to B
  4. Press CMD+V or go to Edit>Paste

But it doesn’t seem to work. And I couldn’t find any useful answer to this on the internet. Or is it correct that I’d have to install a plug-in to have this functionality?

ChatGPT had this answer, but again, doesn’t seem to work on my installation:

To copy polygons from one object to another in Blender, follow these steps:

1. Open the Blender software and select the object that contains the polygons you want to copy.
  2. Enter Edit mode by pressing the Tab key or by selecting the Edit Mode option in the top-left corner of the 3D Viewport.
  3. Select the polygons you want to copy by right-clicking on them.
  4. Press Ctrl+C or select the Copy option from the Edit menu to copy the selected polygons to the clipboard.
  5. Select the object that you want to copy the polygons to.
  6. Enter Edit mode by pressing the Tab key or by selecting the Edit Mode option in the top-left corner of the 3D Viewport.
  7. Move the 3D cursor to the location where you want to paste the copied polygons.
  8. Press Ctrl+V or select the Paste option from the Edit menu to paste the copied polygons onto the selected object.

You can also use the Duplicate option in the Object menu to duplicate an entire object, including its polygons. After duplicating the object, you can delete the polygons you don’t need and make any other necessary modifications.

Yeah, the way this works is a bit unintuitive. What you have to do is:

1. Select the polygons on A.
  2. Press Shift+D to duplicate them. Move them to where you need them, or if they need to be in the right place already, right click to place them there.
  3. With the new faces selected, press P and choose Separate by Selection
  4. Go into Object Mode. Select both the new mesh and B.
  5. Use CMD+J to join the meshes.

A word of advice: while ChatGPT can generate convincing-looking answers, such as in this case,
they’re not always correct. With the way ChatGPT works, the formatting will match what you want, but the content will be only what’s predicted to be written on how to accomplish what you want, not actually the solution.

5 Likes

Thanks for your answer, this worked. I’m currently trying to switch from Modo and was a bit surprised that the usual copy & past didn’t work, so I wanted to believe ChatGPT - but it seems that it was indeed hallucinating.