How can I achieve this animation/transition?

I’m making an intro animation and I’m not sure if Blender is capable of doing this or if I should do this in a video editor, but I want to ask anyways.

Here’s the result I want:

Basically, I want to make a simple slide in animation for the letter N, but I want to make an effect like if it was busting through a door. The N letter should come out from the diagonal orange line to the right. The letter shouldn’t be visible behind the orange line (I drew the red lines of what part of the letter should be invisible during the animation). It’s tough to explain, but I wouldn’t mind if I get the name of the effect or something like that.

You want the N to get occluded by triangle described by the V? Make a mesh describing the occlusion, give it a holdout shader, parent it to the V:

1 Like

thank you, there are visible shadow from my occlusion plane but I think I’ll fix it

Eevee: Look at material settings. Change shadow mode to “none”.

Cycles: Mix shader with transparency BSDF on the basis of light path/is shadow ray, or disable shadow ray visibility for the object in properties/object/visibility/ray visibility.

1 Like

hmmm the shadows are still visible even when I have it disabled

Maybe you could link a file?

The shadow is visible on the V letter, and when the plane goes up it disappears.

It’s not the shadow, it’s the screen-based reflection and the ambient occlusion.

For the concept of the reflections, it’s kinda questionable exactly what should happen. Screen space reflections aren’t real reflections, and they’re post processes, so materials don’t affect them. You could try to make a light probe->reflection cube map, which is a real reflection, computed from geometry, but then the question is how it should handle your E: reflect or not reflect your E? This is already an unreal situation because of the holdout, there is no figuring out how to do it on the basis of what would be realistic. (And I’m not sure how the cubemaps will handle holdout shaders anyhow.)

And as far as AO, I don’t think there’s a solution to that without disabling AO or changing the AO settings enough that you might as well disable it (although I might make a bug report, because holdout shouldn’t be creating AO here, it should be treating it like a transparent face, but I’m not sure what kind of render Eevee is using to calculate the AO.) AO is another one of those things that isn’t really realistic; it’s a hack to deal with problems rasterizer renderers like Eevee have.

There are alternative techniques here, like to have an empty control the transparency of the E, or to use a live boolean on the E. Either of these should work okay for what you’re demonstrating in the file, except without a camera I’m kind of loathe to recommend them, because I can’t be sure exactly what you’re doing without having the camera.

ah crap I deleted the camera my bad, thanks for the thorough explanation! I used a light to fake it but looks good enough

edit – I found out that in render settings, in Screen Space Reflections, setting Max Roughness to 0 turns those shadows off.