How can I improve my topology?

Hello, everyone. Sorry for the n00bish question, but I’ve run into a serious problem modeling a human skull. I started with the face and then began extruding from the top, like this:

So far, so good!
But then when I keep extruding down the line, I reach a point where I end up with an ugly, UVsphere-esque corner and the mess of triangles that comes with it.

Is there any way I can get out of this trap I’ve tangled myself up in, or do I have to start over from scratch?

delete the vertices under the yellow grid and fill the space from top to bottom rather than extruding inward. Since you are modeling a hard object, edge flow is less of a concern. Just make sure the lower jaw and teeth are separate, so you can move the jaw apart from the rest of the skull.

Thanks for the reply! I figured out what to do about an hour after posting. Also, I’ve discovered it’s a lot easier to model a round surface if you make a cross first, rather than extruding from the top and then filling in the sides all at once. It’s sorta like solving a Rubik’s cube, as strange as that sounds.