How can I make procedural plastic packaging?

Hello,

I need to create white packages like the ones you see in the following image :

If you’ve ever ordered stuff from Aliexpress and the like, you’re probably familiar with that kind of packaging.
Specifically, I’m interested in the white packages.
The thing is, I need to generate hundreds of them in a procedural way.

I’m not very experienced with 3D modeling directly, but I’m comfortable with material nodes, geometry nodes and modifiers. I’ve looked at using the shrinkwrap modifier, but it really only works for vacuum packaging, which wouldn’t work here.

Does someone know of any way to procedurally the white packages ?

Thanks in advance !

Welcome :tada:

When using some more rectangular base maybe like so but stoping the process some earlier (?):

2 Likes

Hello @AlixC and welcome to blender artist !

Well, it’s probably going to be complicated to guide you there, since making that setup will involve many steps and not knowing all the specifics of your project is going to make things even harder…

Anyway, here are a few pointers, one part of the thing is about shape, the other is about materials ( variations/rotations on the labels).

Also, it seems that they all come in a somewhat cuboid shape, and then it’s all about faking fabric like wrinkles maybe with displacement.
Some of these details can also be done with materials / bump since you probably want to avoid the polycount for all the needed geometry.

I’m not even sure if geometry node is needed there and you can probably manage with regular modifiers and materials.

I’d suggest you start by making one model manually, and see where you can start to put a bit of automation (displaces, varying materials) , then with a clear idea on the process you can try to automate further, maybe by having some parts handled by geometry nodes if needed…

At this point if you have a specific question it can be easier to address that since that would mean solving a particular problem , rather than a series of problems, which is probably what can sum up these procedural setups : a series of little problems to solve with a particular battle plan.

Hope that helps at least a bit !

Good Luck !

6 Likes

don’t skin-tight wrap. dial it back…1, not .5