How can I match my animation to a video?

Hi everyone.

I’m trying to remake an old 90’s 3D animation in Blender. The old video is 24fps and I want my animation to be 60fps.

Is there a way to sync a video to my time line, so I can match my animations to the original video?. I need to time my animation just like in the video to get a more or less 1:1 recreation.

I tied importing just the audio, to use it as a guide, but every time I rewind, the audio moves. If there’s an explosion in frame 100, when I rewind the explosion now happens at frame 200, if I rewind the explosion now moves to frame 300.

I need a reliable way to use the video as a reference for my animation, otherwise I would need to work totally blind and that would be a lot of work.

I hope you guys can help me. Thanks.

You can use a reference image. Add->empty->image then link to a movie file and you’re set. Then you can move the reference around and animate on top of it.

Hi. Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn’t work. The animation plays way too fast.

It definitely has to do with the video framerate and the framerate inside Blender :frowning:

Either retime the video itself first or match the framerate inside Blender (24fps) first then change to 60 for rendering.

I thought about that but I suspect doubling my framerate in rendering will make my animation play super fast.

You mean, once exported ? blender will encode the video with the scene framerate so it will play at normal speed