How can I render an object hidden by another object? (i.e. like the x-ray function)

Hi,

How can I render an object hidden by another object? (i.e. like the x-ray function)

I would like to be able to render a 3D model, so that some objects inside it are always visible (just like with the x-ray checkbox in the object menu for the 3D-view). Is that possible?

Composition nodes

Thanks, I did try that and it’s indeed quite powerful. :slight_smile:

I managed to get something quite ok, but now, I’m still trying to avoid the front layer being affected by the back layer.
Because at the moment it gets a bit lighter when it’s over a non empty part of the back layer.
Any idea how to fix this?

cf attached .blend file

Two other related problems I have:

1. I would also like to know how to make the wires of the wire material larger. I know I can use the “solidify wireframe” script from blender 2.49, but it would be nice if there’s an easier way.
    I tried the edge feature in the rendering options, but it’s not exactly what I want since I might have different colors.

2. I would like to render only the visible wires. To solve that, I added a solid material and a Z offset to the wire material as in this tutorial:
    http://www.blendernewbies.com/tutorials/video/solid_wireframes/solid_wireframes.html
    I’m just wondering if there isn’t an easier/better way, especially since the wire material also seems affected by the solid material (lighter green instead of [0,255,0]).

Attachments

compositing_test_2.blend (642 KB)