How can I round my corners on a 2d open circle?

Hello,

Im still making a digital camera and on the side of it is an on/off button wich i like to recreate.
I currently have a 2d donut with the top cut off.
What i try to do is make those edges/vertices where i cutoff the top round.
Yesterday i made the lens and screen of the camera and to round those corners i could just subdivide the edges in the corners but this doesnt work for this circle it just makes weird things.

This is my on/off symbol as you can see the place where its cut is very straight i would like to make those round

yesterday i made this screen and lens i placed a plane and seperated the vertical and horizontal edges and scaled these down to 0.75 then i selected the vertices that would make the top corner and pressed F to fill/drawn a line between them. When i right clicked and did subdivide on that edge i could get a very nice round corner. But for some reason this isnt working anymore today? also not for a square plane(it makes an S shape wich i cant tweak.

So i tried to subdivide that edge i tried to bevel the edge/vertices and i tried to look for an answer on google but i cant seem to find anything.

Kind regards,
Gert-Jan

What is happening on the corner. You have vertices and edges that are not connected.

Loose geometry

These vertices are doubles or not properly connected…

See how the selection highlight misses them? That shows they are not connected.

Well yes they dont look nice but they work and are connected its about the circle shape.

To round off the ends you can do a vertex bevel on the vertices at the ends (SHIFT-CTRL-B, or start a normal bevel and press V to switch to vertex mode).

@Matakani is right though, those vertices around your camera body are not connected and sooner or later that will get you in trouble, whether or not it looks alright for now. You need to weld those together. There are different ways of doing that; a quick one is to use Auto Merge Vertices with the option Split Edges and Faces:
automerge.

Just move the whole perimeter straight up a bit in the X and then vertex snap it back down after turning Auto Merge on. That should fix the problem. Don’t forget to turn Auto Merge back off; I tend to forget that all too often.

1 Like

oh i guess i understand what you mean you @Matakani mean that the face i made is a lose part and i should weld it to the rest of the frame.
I thought you meant the second picture of my original post as at that point it had no front face yet. I mean this is something i had not heard of before so im not sure what is exactly meant here.

And about the bevel i tried this but i get a very strange effect. its probably because the edges arent an even lenght?

There is nothing to bevel. Bevels work on the edge where two faces meet .
I think you want to fill that shape to have a face or faces and then do an inset.
It looks like many of your problems may be that you are calling an inset a bevel.

That’s not correct. You can bevel vertices without there being any faces. And an inset won’t give the rounded ends OP wants.

Here; on the left side a vertex bevel has been done on the two selected vertices:

I don’t know what’s wrong with your situation there, @Mr.Panthouse, that looks unusual to me. My example shows what it should look like. Share your file?

2 Likes

yeah it does act strange especially when it worked before. here is my file note it currently has rounded edges thats because I inserted 2 circles and cut them. but if i delete that circle and fill the gap between those vertices with a F and add some subdive and then selecte the two side vertices and bevel only 1 side is going.

GoPro.blend (2.1 MB)

Im sorry if i ask a lot of questions on here but I try to learn as much as I can. I do really appreciate the time and politeness yall give which is something i dont see a lot anymore on other forums.

2 Likes

Don’t worry about asking lots of questions. Though it might be a good idea for you to take an introductory course to Blender, and then some more advanced tutorials that teach general operations, which would cover a lot of the things you have problems with. There are free courses available; my own favourite teacher is Grant Abbitt.

Ok, so the main problem for the beveling is that the scale of your object isn’t uniform:

Your scale in the Z is much much larger than the X and Y, and so bevels will be accordingly distorted. You need to Object → Apply → Scale for all sorts of operations to work correctly

The second major problem is that a lot of your mesh has inverted normals:

Everything in red here is inverted. Select all → Mesh → Normals → Recalculate Outside to correct that. (Oh, I just noticed – my setup is customized; it won’t look the same to you because the default shows correct normals in blue. And my wire colour is also changed. Sorry about that; such things can easily confuse people.)

You also have an extra vertex floating around in there (Select all → Mesh → Clean Up → Merge by Distance).

You should generally make sure that all your objects have uniform scale, that all your normals are pointed in the right direction (usually outside), and that you have no extra geometry. These are pretty much the most common things that make operations go weird.

1 Like

okay i see i did believe i applied the scale and all i guess i forgot that and yes my next step will be following more tutorials. i see some pop up here all the time at the top left but grant and blenderguru are also on my mind. i did whatch grant for an writing animation.

Thanks

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend blenderguru’s tutorials; they’re long, rambly, confusing, and hard to follow