How can I save and append Geometry nodes setups without dragging in unwanted objects?

I have a file that contains Geometry nodes setups that I would like to reuse, but whenever I append them it always bring in unwanted collections or data that are associated with the given group, even when they are not present. My example here is I have a system that scatters leaves, and you can select what collection your leaves are in. The asset file has the collection removed from the setup, yet when I append the file it still brings in the old leaves collection. I have also tried removing the setup from all objects in the asset file and it still occurs. Help!

inspect the default values of your nodes sockets , your objects might be referenced from there…

Even more tricky, unplug the output from the socket , the data might be there too :

Even if you remove the data from the scene they won’t be purged if they are used somwhere else like here…

I have checked those as well and they are clear, Any other suggestions?

I have purged all relevant data aside from the groups and it is still occuring

hum, in 4.0 (at least) there is an delete global operator ( shift-X) that might force the removal of data, it’s worth trying if you can find that data in the original file.

something should be calling these object for sure but it can be a lot of things, a driver, a constraint, parent-child stuff, materials… post the blend and someone might be lucky to figure out what’s going on… Other than that, we can’t do better than wild guessing…

PaintKit_AddonReadyAsset_1.0.blend (375.5 KB)
Heres the blend file

weird, importing the groups in a fresh .blend doesn’t bring anything more…
the blend you send doesn’t contain any object or mesh data, I think you’re good !