How can I set a different vertex parent for different pieces of mesh

I have a dragon with teeth in its mouth. I would like to define for each tooth a parent vertex from the mouth so that they stick to the mouth when it’s moves. The problem is that all the teeth are in the same mesh but they are different islands. Is it even possible to do something like this?
Is it realistic to use 36 additional teeth objects in the final product to allow this?

By the way, I’m new to this community, sorry if I posted this in the wrong category or something.

Any particular object only has a single parent. You can separate the teeth into individual objects and vertex parent them if you want. Using 36 objects is definitely reasonable for some cases (but not all-- you wouldn’t want a game engine model with individual teeth like that.) But it sounds like what you want is armature deformation, where vertices are moved with bones. Getting you started on armatures is probably beyond a simple post, but there are plenty of tutorials around. Introduction to Rigging! — Blender Guru should still have downloadable models for you to follow along with it; it’s the first (and only) rigging tutorial I ever used.

1 Like