How can I stack objects?

I’ve just started using blender and can create basic shapes, but can’t get them to connect like in the tutorial (the monkey picture). Everything I create seems to stay on the ground, and the objects do not seem to realize the other ones are there. They go right through each other.

hi

could you be more specific? i don’t really understand what’s going wrong. post the link to the tutorial and explain more precisely what your problem is. otherwise it’s really hard to help.

marin

I don’t know what tutorial you mean but to connect objects, you just join them by selecting both objects and ctrl-j. You can also use the command in the object menu.

Objects do go through each other because 3D apps don’t have real-time collision detection by default. Collision detection needs CPU power to calculate. You can use it but you need to learn the game engine or whatever it is that enables it. You really don’t need it when modelling - only when animating.

3D objects are not “solid.” They can be positioned anywhere in 3D space but they do not “bump into” each other.

There are various game-engine tools that you can use, to detect collisions and thereby cause objects to appear to sit on top of one another, but the abstract world of 3D is devoid of concepts like “solidness” and even “gravity.”

Everything I create seems to stay on the ground, and the objects do not seem to realize the other ones are there. They go right through each other.

What do you mean by ‘on the ground’ ?? have you tried moving them around by pressing Gkey … then switching views with your numkey PAD and them movign them again with the Gkey ?

The reasont he go right through each other is just because that’s the way it works… So just don’t position them ‘in’ each other… and if you think about it that logic because in normal life you wouldn’t try to combine an orange and a banana by putting them ‘in’ each othter … :wink:

Hmm, I posted a reply to this yesterday, but for some reason it didn’t show up. :slight_smile:

I think I figured out my problem though, thanks. I just have to change my view in order to move it in the direction I need.